Why does Alb seem to only have this playstyle?

A place for talking about everything related to the realm of Albion.
9avbbbu
Esquire
Esquire

Why does Alb seem to only have this playstyle?

I formerly played Hib and have switched to Alb for a few months now, and one of the biggest things I have noticed is that almost no one in Alb goes out to the enemy realms to run 5 or 8 mans - it's duos at best. We don't camp quest mobs or gates or docks like Hib and Mid do. I really hope it's not some weird sense of honor or something like that. Alb does seem more laid back, which is nice, but I think a consequence of that is also that nobody really cares to do anything besides things that will net them huge RPs with low risk. When I go out myself I almost never see another Alb, whereas on Hib I constantly ran across other members. Anyway I just wonder if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm hallucinating. Demoralizing your enemy is part of the game and is effective, I'm not quite sure I get it...
Greenangel
Esquire
Esquire

Re: Why does Alb seem to only have this playstyle?

This is a multiplayer online game and i prefer to play what game was designed for the big battlgroups 3 way fights in the open and in keeps and towers.

I don't really get point of the 8v8 or 2v2 or 1v1 as the game was never balanced around it and it still shows today.
I always fought the job camping docks miles gates and Demoralizing your enemy was job the stealthers and stealth zerg groups as well there jobs provide information and support to the war effort.
Seems everyone has differnt view the game but i remnber going to shop reading back the box and new I was buying it for one thing.It never mention anything on box about 1v1 fights or 8v8 or 2v2 just the on going realm war and the fights between the 3 realms taken keeps towers relics AND BIG FIGHTS.
shoke
Soldier
Soldier

Greenangel wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:10 pm This is a multiplayer online game and i prefer to play what game was designed for the big battlgroups 3 way fights in the open and in keeps and towers.

I don't really get point of the 8v8 or 2v2 or 1v1 as the game was never balanced around it and it still shows today.
I always fought the job camping docks miles gates and Demoralizing your enemy was job the stealthers and stealth zerg groups as well there jobs provide information and support to the war effort.
Seems everyone has differnt view the game but i remnber going to shop reading back the box and new I was buying it for one thing.It never mention anything on box about 1v1 fights or 8v8 or 2v2 just the on going realm war and the fights between the 3 realms taken keeps towers relics AND BIG FIGHTS.
SO you read something on the box and never look at alternative way of using a product? That seems extremely narrow minded.
Greenangel
Esquire
Esquire

Shoke i mean i buy a car to drive as its a car but if people want drive it into water and pretend its a boat thats up to them .
Great imagnation but your not doing what the product was designed for you trying make it into something its not.
Not sure if that narrow minded or common sense. You can use pen write with or you can stab someone in eye with it . does not mean it was designed to stab people in the eye.
shoke
Soldier
Soldier

Greenangel wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:33 pm Shoke i mean i buy a car to drive as its a car but if people want drive it into water and pretend its a boat thats up to them .
Great imagnation but your not doing what the product was designed for you trying make it into something its not.
Not sure if that narrow minded or common sense. You can use pen write with or you can stab someone in eye with it . does not mean it was designed to stab people in the eye.
In your opinion, playing a pvp game doing pvp, just in a different format isn't playing the game?

It's like saying I bought a car that can carry 4 adults, so I never drive it without having 4 adults in the car. You know what, I drive my car even if I'm alone, because in my mind my car is designed to do something else than driving 4 adults.

You can see that depending on the perspective, the "intent" can be widely different. Daoc is a RvR based game, that sub-styles are totally viable and fun, with different sub-genres immerging.

Daoc was designed in 18 months, with unfinished mechanics and apparently the intent from the designer was fixed in October 2001? That's being narrow-minded ;)

your examples are a bit strange because they are vastly different than the initial intent. We're talking doing pvp in a pvp game, just with less people. Stabbing people in the eye is vastly different than writing.
Greenangel
Esquire
Esquire

The game box said tower keeps relics takes pvp fights between realms i repeat thats why i buyed thats why i still play.
It also said about the pve and NPC gameplay but thats not why i play.

If people want just pve there still playing the game same as those who do other forms pvp.
But i repeat i buyed it for what game clearly stated on the box keep tower relics takes and big fights.
Its not narrowminded to do what you enjoy or what you buyed the game for in the first place.
If people enjoy 1v1 and play daoc for that then so be it.If people just want play Koth then so be it.
If the game box in shop had not said keeps towers no big fights and just advertised 8v8 i probley would never buyed the game and carried on playing counter strike or some other pvp game.

Any game with pvp will have players abuse systems adapt playstyle to benfit themselfs and get ahead of others or to have as much fun as possible in there view. And everyone has differnt view in daoc of what is fun pve server pvp server old frontiers new frontiers etc.

I just love games with big fights also like planetside 2 but again people will try adapt that game to 1v1 fights as well even if that was not main point the game. Massivly multiplayer game and people are doing 1v1 aerial dog fights for fun.
lolktar37
Wanderer
Wanderer

Your experience on alb is due to Pick up group strength.

We have strong duo's with minstrels and some other classes, so thats all we can do.
5 man Alb is pointless and weak vs any real 5 man comp from Mid and a lot of hibs due to them being able to stack heals with speed and cc.
8 man Alb is dead for similar reasons as a pick up comp just wont compete with any of the set groups that hib and mid ONLY run.

Hibs have SEVERAL strong comps to choose from, all that will function pretty strong even in Pug scenarios.
Albs have ONE strong comp that has a chance vs the Hib meta, and at that, you need good players.

tldr; Alb isnt puggable effectively, especially in try hard scenarios. If u dont mind wiping a lot then go for it?

Alb tactics are superior out of eat or be eaten pressure, and we succeed because we have to exploit the tiniest of advantages to have a chance.
heyveno
Wanderer
Wanderer

I really like what is recalled below.

Especially it must be understood that the majority of ALBs play in BG, and build characters that are not very useful in small man.

From experience since season 2, I do twice as much RP's in a duo than in 3,4,5.

As said above there are very solid duo compositions (I mainly play sorc + smite cleric or Mins + two handed pal).

But as soon as we go between 3 and 5, we lose, never managing to balance against equivalent groups.

The game is called "Dark age of camelot" maybe devs thinked the game with the idea that alb will be always surpop, and it's a good balance. ( maybe it's totally false :D )

nodays this is no longer necessarily true and rebalancing must be a real hassle if we don't want to distort the spirit of the game with 3 no-mirrors kingdoms.

Add to that the fact that every evening we die 8/10 on 8+ who come to farm the small man zones, particularly hib, and it quickly becomes sickening.

It's an observation, not a criticism, when I play mid I have much less of this problem, even if it exists.