Enough is enough.

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Kadorna
Esquire
Esquire

Re: Enough is enough.

Harondale wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 pm
penteles wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm And if you are having fun in low level BG's, you have option to stay there. Just /xp off

My highest level guy is in Molvik and i have no intention of turning xp back on any time soon.
Thats the next thing..
How should i know that this is a feature?
Im here for "playing" a game not to study it to it´s core
/XP off + /RP off => these features are in the game since AGES...thats not a "eden feature"...

Man, if you return to a game after 20 years its your job to get into new features by yourself....nobody will give you advice to cover 20 years off...
check in google for patch 1.90 features
check wiki for eden exclusive features

instead, you just log into game and ask ppl ?? wtf
Kadorna
Esquire
Esquire

Harondale wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:05 pm
Jabstar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:11 pm It is fairly hard to understand how this can be your experience (but it is, not reducing that). Sure there's always trolls, but from what i can tell, playing hib, people get an answer in advice 99% of the time.

other then that Discord usually has the info you need, although i'll admit im not a fan of the Eden discord structure. You cant really use General for question.

At level 50 (even at 40+ i would say) you can start looking at the quests and raids you need to complete, farm currency for items you need. Look into templating etc. No secrets really, probably the most generic answer, but thats about it.
- quest for epic gear
- quests for dragonslayer gear
- quest for bunny bracer (Springtime Folly)
- quest for Medal of Honor
- do all dungeons at least once for credit

If you gave up, so be it, good luck. But i'd strong encourage giving it another go.
Thats also a problem.
Do you wanna know what my definiton of wasting time is? it´s not the leveling.
It´s the endless waiting at level 50 finding any grp, people etc. for doing such content.

Im walking aimlessly through the wilderness hoping for something to happen in LFG.
All i see is RvR.
And for RvR i need some decent gear to stand a chance.
You dont need a template to follow the zerg...

"something to happen in lfg" => just waiting for someone to carry you...ok

So your gameplay is basicly:
-Ask in chat for basic features that are in daoc since ages
-Wait for something happen in LFG

Yes you are looking for ppl to carry you....someone to tell you what you have to do and where to go, ppl who start a grp and invite you, etc...
Harondale
Esquire
Esquire

I tried many times to get a group together.
Allways LFM not LFG except of some LFG´s in BG´s.

After several attempts LFMing, it took me over a week until a group invited me.
Since it´s the only thing i know which is important so far, i mostly focused on that.

Regarding /xp off command...
My main goal back in the day was reaching lvl50 just to be able to create a lvl20 char from the get go discovering other classes on a decent level.
And even if i had known anything about this command, why should i have ever used it in 2003 since leveling was slow anyway.
Bg´s weren´t a thing as far as i can remember.

Hell it´s not even the problem to not getting any advice.
But getting an advice and doing stuff are 2 different stories.
I cannot solo the dragon quest stuff.

I don´t know if that´s a hib only porblem.
I don´t actually feel like migrating to one of the other factions because hib has been my faction eversince.

Getting the advice to work on my template is nice but how should i do that? There isn´t really any alternative than spamming the LFG channel for grp members as far as i know.
daemini
Wanderer
Wanderer

This is an issue for many. I had the same issue when I got here. Took me from start of season 2 till this week to figure out what to do for end game. Some of your issue is not being experienced enough, the other is many who play these private servers are hardcore and know everything already. I have asked several times for some info on these very forums, and got just the basic stuff. What I think its going to take, is someone in the know to write up a beginners guide to the server. Hell the server info on this site is old, out of date and from season 1. I have no problems with the server now that I know what to do, but it will put off people that really want to play. Hell, even a pop up from the server saying, "Now your 40, start looking to do X,Y,Z. You have to complete X to buy stuff from Z merchant."
Harondale
Esquire
Esquire

daemini wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:50 pm This is an issue for many. I had the same issue when I got here. Took me from start of season 2 till this week to figure out what to do for end game. Some of your issue is not being experienced enough, the other is many who play these private servers are hardcore and know everything already. I have asked several times for some info on these very forums, and got just the basic stuff. What I think its going to take, is someone in the know to write up a beginners guide to the server. Hell the server info on this site is old, out of date and from season 1. I have no problems with the server now that I know what to do, but it will put off people that really want to play. Hell, even a pop up from the server saying, "Now your 40, start looking to do X,Y,Z. You have to complete X to buy stuff from Z merchant."
Thats what im talking about.
Like i said, getting advice isn´t basically the problem if it wouldn´t be just halfbaked ones.

In my last guild i joined the RvR. I told them that i allmost had nothing to do with RvR in 2003 so my knowledge is basically non existent.

Meeting point was set and i got ganked otw several times.
Then somebody asked me "Are you running the whole area by foot? I thought you know you could teleport?"

And yes i did run everything by foot because i allready told them i allmost had nothing to do with RvR yet.
shoke
Soldier
Soldier

Harondale wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:45 pm
daemini wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:50 pm This is an issue for many. I had the same issue when I got here. Took me from start of season 2 till this week to figure out what to do for end game. Some of your issue is not being experienced enough, the other is many who play these private servers are hardcore and know everything already. I have asked several times for some info on these very forums, and got just the basic stuff. What I think its going to take, is someone in the know to write up a beginners guide to the server. Hell the server info on this site is old, out of date and from season 1. I have no problems with the server now that I know what to do, but it will put off people that really want to play. Hell, even a pop up from the server saying, "Now your 40, start looking to do X,Y,Z. You have to complete X to buy stuff from Z merchant."
Thats what im talking about.
Like i said, getting advice isn´t basically the problem if it wouldn´t be just halfbaked ones.

In my last guild i joined the RvR. I told them that i allmost had nothing to do with RvR in 2003 so my knowledge is basically non existent.

Meeting point was set and i got ganked otw several times.
Then somebody asked me "Are you running the whole area by foot? I thought you know you could teleport?"

And yes i did run everything by foot because i allready told them i allmost had nothing to do with RvR yet.
It seems like the amount of knowledge you are lacking on the game is astranomical and therefore difficult to properly estimate by your guildies.

You can't hold grudges on players because they potentially under-evaluated how little of the game features you actually know. You need to learn that x, y and z exist and to do that you'll have to do the wrong thing until you ask yourself that there's probably a better way and ask.

You're probably better off telling people that you are a completely new player and you need everything explained to you. Looking at what you wrote that you believe players should teach you, considering you already played the game, is like telling people you are mad you suffocated because they didn't tell you to breathe.
Harondale
Esquire
Esquire

I get your point.

But i also haven´t found any specific guide about those issues i mentioned.
So there seems to be no other choice for me asking in the advice channel or a discord voice channel of a guild which ignores you even more.

Like i said, either half baked answers or no answers at all.
And you are wondering why im getting mad wasting my time wandering arround aimlessly with my level 50 char?
Now im asking you for advice.

What in your opinion should i do else?
shieldladaoc
Warrior
Warrior

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your level 50.

If you want to rvr:
1) Accept that you're a total noob now. It's not to be mean or anything, just is what it is. You may not have been one in 2003, but you are now. There's actually a lot of people in this situation, and many of them are worse off than you. At least you arent a level 50 druid wearing reinforced armor that doesn't know what your heals do... it could be worse.
2) Take your newly found noobness and search for the RVR BG. /who BG
3) Join the RVR BG. Find them in NF. They appear on the map usually.
4) type /BC LFG
5) Repeat a few times every couple minutes until somebody groups you.
6) Follow the group. Ask questions if you dont know what something is. Usually /g is responsive
7) If nobody groups you, don't worry about it and keep trying. Stay with the BG (they are visible on the map), and just hang out near the towers they take. This will get you off to a start. Most BG's form pug groups though, so its seldom a problem and you could take some initiative to make your own group and pick up stragglers as well if you really really care.
8) Follow the BG around with your group and profit. If your group is a fail, and wants to roam off and 8 vs 8 or something that's out of your current scope, then work your way into one that will stick with the BG

Do NOT:
1) Worry about an over engineered template. You'll know very well when you need to move into a template. Coming back from 2003, you are not here yet and wont be anytime soon. We could give you the best template ever created and it would be totally useless until you know how to actually use it.
2) Expect to be successful every night. Some nights will be good and some nights will be bad. This never changes
3) Attempt to solo outside the BG. Solo land can be very brutal. People who solo tend to know how to fight pretty well. No recommended for somebody coming back from 2003.
4) Expect to know everything or understand everything people ask you to do. There's a lot of stuff you actually have to learn while playing, and not a lot of it is well documented. There's a lot of stuff you just have to go figure out. Mistakes happen too.
5) Stay in your guild if they don't help you. Get rid of them and another one will eventually find you.

some Misc stuff:
1) /inspect everybody, especially people in your class. This will show you their level/CL/RR and spec / abilities. You can use this to see what others are doing character-wise
2) Look into the living frontier quests when you get more comfortable or have some regular friends.

Your expectation for having an understanding of things is probably 3 months after a 21 year break. At 6 months you'll feel more comfortable feeling like you know stuff that you really have just touched the surface on. At about 1yr back you'll be pretty comfortable. So stick it out until the end of the season, and come back next season blazing
Last edited by shieldladaoc on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildAbep
Wanderer
Wanderer

Harondale wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:32 pm I get your point.

But i also haven´t found any specific guide about those issues i mentioned.
So there seems to be no other choice for me asking in the advice channel or a discord voice channel of a guild which ignores you even more.

Like i said, either half baked answers or no answers at all.
And you are wondering why im getting mad wasting my time wandering arround aimlessly with my level 50 char?
Now im asking you for advice.

What in your opinion should i do else?
Hey Harondale - I picked the game up when Eden S1 beta began. Similar situation as you...I had taken 15-18 years off from the game and, aside from some nostalgia and real (REAL) basics, did not remember much. I was killing beatles in Mag Mell and waiting to get to that 1st dungeon north of Tir Na Nog, Muire's Tomb.

In a nutshell, I found a group of people who were pretty cool in a lvling group near 50. They eventually invited me into Discord (which I hadn't used since 'Nam) and, on a whim, I joined. The rest is history and now I'm a 'relatively' knowledgeable player who has developed a real love for small-man/duo RvR and, on occasion, does not embarrass the entire group in a fight.

My recommendation would be to try and get into a guild-based zerg group, or join the RvR BG of the day (/who BG to find the BG, and then /BG join <name> to get into it). Try and find a group with discord, join, and slowly start talking. Once you surmise they are not dbags, and they hopefully reach a similar conclusion about you, pick the chatty one and ask them a broad question you need an answer to. This would be in a group-based Discord channel, as opposed to the big BG voice channel.

It's really the same as real life. Develop relationships, leverage those relationships over time to learn new things. At this point in the season lifecycle, I would really join the BG and ask for a group with a Discord channel to join. On Mid I rarely join the BG comms but when I have, they're almost always pretty chill...sans one particular BG leader ;)

Take some time and read over the Eden Wiki on this site and start digesting it over time. I get that it's research, but you're rolling into a 20+ year old game and that should be expected. The asymmetrical class design creates some of the most engaging and memorable PvP experiences I've ever had in a game. Biased since I'm on this board, but I think it's worth the time investment.

Feel free to DM me on Discord: DWildAbep. I may not always be quick with an answer as I generally play later NA evenings, but I'll get back to you :)