How to bring assassins in line with the rest of the game

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Mortarion
Esquire
Esquire

How to bring assassins in line with the rest of the game

three suggestions to bring assassins in line with the rest of Eden.

assassins more or less play the same as they did cerca 2005. there are a few nice but not game changing QoL changes for Eden, namely poison in combat. It doesn't change anything gameplaywise other than you simply dont need to have 14 weapons anymore but it is a welcome and good boost. The general problem for assassins (mostly for SB and Inf, less so for NS) is that while assassin damage has remained more or less constant, the hp and resists and available tools for everyone else has changed dramatically.

the most obvious solution to this would be a flat damage increase but it's my opinion that would be kind of game breaking and just generally dumb because it would just turn assassins into light tanks with stealth which isn't really interesting. instead, i think the solution is to add the DD poison which came later on live for the following reasons.

1) it provides an inconsistent but useful burst of damage and would allow assassins to be more competitive versus other melee classes and bring down casters faster
2) it would force assassins to spec RAs in one of two ways. either heavy viper for the dps boost from poison OR counter assassin high MoP. this would mean if you chose to go for the poisons you would be vulnerable to counter assassins and at least add somewhat of a meta to the assassin game.

second suggestion - CS Openers

there needs to be a reason to use them. on SB in particular there is basically no reason on Eden to spec for CS unless you're high RR. Casters and archers can basically do almost PA level damage at 2 second intervals from range which no positional or stealth requirement. I'm not advocating for the era of 2 hitting tanks. I am however, advocating for a 10-15% boost in CS OPENER only damage to make them at least somewhat useful in solo and group fights.

third and final suggestion - pick lock

playing an assassin in a siege fight is about as much fun as watching a sink backup. when you're not getting blown up by random GTAOE, AoE or just general randomness, there literally is nothing for you to do. My suggestion is allow assassins to pick the locks of the keep doors as an active ability with a 60 second cooldown. the assassin has 10 seconds to enter any keep door freely and move around. This would allow assassins to move inside the central portion of keeps, set ground targets and generally try to cause mayhem with the defenders. perhaps even allow them to climb ALL of the walls of a the CK so there is something for us to do in keep fights.

these are my suggestions as someone who has always enjoyed the assassin class but generally feels the playstyle is lacking on eden beyond killing stragglers, xpers and generally camping NF quest mobs.
Gormek
Esquire
Esquire

Re: How to bring assassins in line with the rest of the game

Mortarion wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:53 am playing an assassin in a siege fight is about as much fun as watching a sink backup. when you're not getting blown up by random GTAOE, AoE or just general randomness, there literally is nothing for you to do.
all sins get climb wall, nuff said.
Mortarion
Esquire
Esquire

i know right? which is awesome since everyone hides behind doors which cant be opened so it doesnt matter. also tanks get climb walls so why would you ever want a sin over a tank? you wouldnt. im trying to give an idea to give sins a roll in the endgame. because at the moment they dont have one
WRadio
Wanderer
Wanderer

No offense but playing a stealther is by default removing you from the rest of the players. You have the ability to engage whatever you want in solo/small so therefore it is normal that you are not desired in any other form of gameplay, especialy keep takes and mass RvR.
Mortarion
Esquire
Esquire

WRadio wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:27 pm No offense but playing a stealther is by default removing you from the rest of the players. You have the ability to engage whatever you want in solo/small so therefore it is normal that you are not desired in any other form of gameplay, especialy keep takes and mass RvR.
that makes absolutely no sense. plenty of other games with pvp have roles for stealthers and stealth gameplay in the broader context of the game. your argument that "you can engage in smallmans therefore you shouldn't have a role in larger rvr" is completely nonsensical. By that logic then you must surely agree that since I don't have a role in keep takes and larger rvr that I should be immune to being steamrolled by zergs since every other class gets to participate in those aspects of the game and therefore shouldn't be able to ruin my smallman / solo experience right? of course you wouldn't agree with that because it would be stupid. Non stealth classes can solo / smallman just as well as if not better than assassins anyway for a litany of reasons. i'm not sure why i'm even responding to this because its such an unintelligent opinion.
Last edited by Mortarion on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blacksin
Esquire
Esquire

I play a ShadowBlade, and I can tell you solo, it's tough. I get killed a ton. If purge up I get away 90% of the time when I have vanish up. Small mans and FG's destroy me, tanks are hard to kill. Not an easy task. Very challenging. Please fix Stealth! Visibles see us a mile away and I have 50 stealth.
I would like/love SB to get a little love. Nightshades seem so powerful and overwhelming. Going into a fight SB have a disadvantage. Sure we have a 2hander, but will never 2 hand a PA with a NS, EVER! They have DD and Dot and castable range. If you did a poll, and or actual DATA from fights on this server it would be NS>INFIL>SB
I went SZ a day ago and damage seems a little better, and I get the 7 sec stun, which is nice. But CS anytime use is weak and ineffective against everyone. Think you guys nerfed it too much. Just do a poll or test and balance out. All I want is fairness. 2hand PA is not powerful imho. Hitting a Caster with it and they still 50%, is complete bullshit! on Classic daoc, you would 1 shot 100% of the time. Yes, I know about all the bonuses to AF and PD. 2 hander should have gotten some love when defense's increased. And sadly it got nerfed with CS line. Your server your rules. But if you don't keep the solo's happy, the food chain will get disrupted and the game will die like before. 3-4 months keep game the same, the server will die. I can only get killed over and over again, till I say screw this crap.
I love the poison changes, it's really beautiful to apply in combat and not have 6 weapons in inventory.
I would love a 5 sec timer on going stealth instead of 10. and Vanish on a 5 min timer. Balance out assassins' s a little more by having a team lead for each class to keep fairness. The same gear, weapon and level should be a draw or close to it depending on procs and luck. Skill be similar. All I want it fairness, and honestly.. Look at Characters made on EDEN and the Bottom is SHADOWBLADE. Yes, that's why I posted this.
Blacksin
Esquire
Esquire

Mortarion wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:06 pm
WRadio wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:27 pm No offense but playing a stealther is by default removing you from the rest of the players. You have the ability to engage whatever you want in solo/small so therefore it is normal that you are not desired in any other form of gameplay, especialy keep takes and mass RvR.
This is the stupidest comment I have ever heard.
WRadio
Wanderer
Wanderer

Blacksin wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:58 pm
So you want the best in every worlds ? Be able to solo, hide and have a good role in groups ?
I want stealth on my SM can I have it ?
Blacksin
Esquire
Esquire

WRadio wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:48 am
Blacksin wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:58 pm

So you want the best in every worlds ? Be able to solo, hide and have a good role in groups ?
I want stealth on my SM can I have it ?
You are special needs right?