Keeping Casuals Engaged in Season 2

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Zeik
Wanderer
Wanderer

Keeping Casuals Engaged in Season 2

Most of this is copied and pasted from another post, but I wanted to drop it in feedback as well.
My overall feedback: Super impressed with what the devs have done with DAOC on Eden. I really appreciate the efforts pumping some new life into our beloved game!

I played quite a bit of season 1, but my interest waned as time went on and I will try to summarize why that happened below. My thought is that there may be a lot of people with a similar experience, and if they were more incentivized to keep playing, that the population numbers may stay stronger further into the season.

There really needs to be a strong motivation for people with many real life responsibilities and a small amount of play time to log in. I imagine there is a large portion of the player base that just doesn't have tons of time to play and/or can only play in small increments when they get a break from RL.

This is not an issue for this crowd while leveling up and working on a character's gear/template. It's actually quite enjoyable and relaxing to jump on for 45min-1hr if you can find the play time and work on leveling up a character. Why? Because you can make meaningful progress in that amount of time.

Once you are leveled, geared, and want to start getting into the end game/RVR, the experience is quite a bit different. It can take the whole 45min-1hr window you have to play just to form a group. So, if you know you don't have the time to form a proper group you are left with the option of solo or small man. Solo/small man has a tendency to become quite frustrating in its own right by getting killed by greater numbers the majority of the time.

I think you combat this by offering very strong rewards for attainable RvR quests (kill X players, etc). My first thought would be to have a high reward daily and weekly quest. This gives you the chance to earn some good RPs every day, and if it's a good week where you get to play a bit more than usual, maybe you have time to complete the weekly for a very good RP reward.
The people with more playtime will still be getting the majority of their RPs/RRanks from kills and time spent RVRing, but this would give the people that don't have as much time a strong incentive to keep playing once the RR gap starts to widen and population starts dropping.
Moonshot
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Keeping Casuals Engaged in Season 2

Well making the grind less of a grind would probably do it. (Que the "i leveled to 50 in 10 hours" clowns)
Effectus
Esquire
Esquire

Zeik wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:22 am Most of this is copied and pasted from another post, but I wanted to drop it in feedback as well.
My overall feedback: Super impressed with what the devs have done with DAOC on Eden. I really appreciate the efforts pumping some new life into our beloved game!

I played quite a bit of season 1, but my interest waned as time went on and I will try to summarize why that happened below. My thought is that there may be a lot of people with a similar experience, and if they were more incentivized to keep playing, that the population numbers may stay stronger further into the season.

There really needs to be a strong motivation for people with many real life responsibilities and a small amount of play time to log in. I imagine there is a large portion of the player base that just doesn't have tons of time to play and/or can only play in small increments when they get a break from RL.

This is not an issue for this crowd while leveling up and working on a character's gear/template. It's actually quite enjoyable and relaxing to jump on for 45min-1hr if you can find the play time and work on leveling up a character. Why? Because you can make meaningful progress in that amount of time.

Once you are leveled, geared, and want to start getting into the end game/RVR, the experience is quite a bit different. It can take the whole 45min-1hr window you have to play just to form a group. So, if you know you don't have the time to form a proper group you are left with the option of solo or small man. Solo/small man has a tendency to become quite frustrating in its own right by getting killed by greater numbers the majority of the time.

I think you combat this by offering very strong rewards for attainable RvR quests (kill X players, etc). My first thought would be to have a high reward daily and weekly quest. This gives you the chance to earn some good RPs every day, and if it's a good week where you get to play a bit more than usual, maybe you have time to complete the weekly for a very good RP reward.
The people with more playtime will still be getting the majority of their RPs/RRanks from kills and time spent RVRing, but this would give the people that don't have as much time a strong incentive to keep playing once the RR gap starts to widen and population starts dropping.
Zeik!!! Great Post!!

I agree with the time to get temped / setup / a group going.

I totally think increased RP income through quests and RP through kill increased SIGNIFICANTLY with increase and help maintain action!!!
Send It.
Rtha
Worldbuilder
Worldbuilder

Dynamic Missions and something yet unannounced will likely help with getting into the action faster and make people feel like they can accomplish a few things in short bursts of RvR.
Amnesia is the best button in the game.
Pollo Jack
Esquire
Esquire

You can template from PvP I believe.

I would appreciate making the final templating easier but keeping the lvling as is.

I remember it taking forever to get my 8-12 sets of weapons for RvR. I know, stealther is the solo hard path but I struggle to get groups on anything once I am 50. I can make groups just fine but not all hours is good for that.
Rtha
Worldbuilder
Worldbuilder

You don't need that many sets anymore. You can poison weapons in combat with /poison macros
Amnesia is the best button in the game.