New Players and Getting Groups

A place for talking about everything related to the realm of Albion.
kulina_stargazer
Wanderer
Wanderer

New Players and Getting Groups

Is it possible to get a group while leveling up currently? I understand you have to pay your dues in the newbie zone, but at some point along the way it would be great to get some groups and make friends.

How is the pace of leveling? Lets say I play a few hours a day, would I reach 50 in a month?

The populations seem pretty close, are the RvR fights competitive?

Thanks for any tips/info.
RussellAdams
Esquire
Esquire

Re: New Players and Getting Groups

It's a gem and a lot of luck to see someone spamming an invite pre-50. After that, it's a further bit of luck to see them ask for anything other than AOE, tank, and or heals. This accounts for all three realms, meaning you will be told that you can do all these 'quests' as well as quests/pvp in the battlegrounds. What they won't say is how often you can't manage the mobs (depending on if the red mob dot locater is even working or bugged). Also, in a BG, you are 99% solo unless you have RL friends or are part of a guild and restarting together. It's pretty rough.

The best thing I can tell you is to go to Eden Wiki and pay attention to the gear merchants as you level up. Possibly, unless you are a rogue class (stealth), there's a chance you might get a slot on your way to 50. I made about 10 50s for fun over the past year. I rarely got to group - even as a warden or hero.

It's a small pop and most are doing 50th-level things. Maybe try to get into a guild that takes new players - you might be able to organize someone or a few folks wanting to level.

The most amazing thing is when you peruse the Eden forums and see people setting up a 1-50 group. Usually, you don't see the advertisement until they need a heal slot filled. But even that is a nice way to get started.

I'd probably make a few toons, then, if you are lucky, you'll be playing and someone will want a leveling partner. This will help you get through the quests (as many of the mobs are orange-red-purple yet allegedly in your skill level).

Also, the whole server is resetting in the fall, meaning everyone's leveling again (though RR2L4+ folks get to retain their name and their realm ranks auto-return as each season moves forward with cap lifting. That probably didn't make sense, but there's plenty of info on server mechanics.

I just checked Eden's LFG on their Discord and the last half dozen requests were European time (if you live in Europe or play after 12 midnight USA time, this is a much better experience).

Best of luck.
kulina_stargazer
Wanderer
Wanderer

Thanks for the reply, good info for sure. Is running more than one client on a PC allowed? Having a healer and another class (DPS or Tank) would help while leveling up.
RussellAdams
Esquire
Esquire

You cannot run multiple accounts (first time is usually a warning with 2 day ban - I think?). Second attempt is longer or perma-ban.

You can share your account bank between toons and all trade skills crossover between toons (on the same realm, of course).

Also, as the red quest dots can disappear for some players, be sure to use:

mobs?r=1&g=1&z=0

Here are the quest/NPC gear locators + the server rules:

wiki?content=null
Fulrex
Wanderer
Wanderer

Wanted to post, because the response above paints a rather poor picture for leveling. All I can say, is that has not been my experience, and I just started a couple weeks ago. I'm a solo minded player, but I have had no problem getting groups in BG's and quickly learned groups is the way to go by far. People will add to your quest mob kills even if they're outside your group, because it still benefits you both, and it often leads to a group invite by one or the other.

Overall, its been a positive experience in spite of being late in the current "season."

Low population is still an issue, so there's that. And if you find yourself solo and getting farmed in BG's by someone who gets their epeen stroked by being temped in BG's farming non-temped xpers, then I recommend you get a couple levels before doing the BG quests.

For example, if you're level 10, go to BG but find no one to group with and start the quests solo - but get farmed by roaming speed+any class, go to the main town quests for that level at least get Lvl 12-13 then go back and finish BG quests. The farmers might be gone by then, a group might be possible, and you're not as squishy. You get RP's from the BG quests, but don't sweat the low levels. You only need longwind 1. RP's are easy at 50, don't get snookered into thinking you're accomplishing a whole lot from RP's at levels 1-30ish. Just quest xp as fast as possible.

Lastly, I'll say I see people LFG for duo/xp/small man/8-man a LOT. Which means there are people to group with for your playstyle. No comment on quality of said PUG's, but there seems to be plenty of action. Don't be discouraged.

Cheers!
RussellAdams
Esquire
Esquire

The reality is one person's experience is not going to be the same as another's, here, due to the small pop and randomness of what class you are playing and who is on. Right now I'm on a ranger in Thid - naturally no one's interested (no stealthies running around that are interested either). To be fair, I just saw a chanter log after no group (she is 20 and as the prev. poster said, it's best to be mid to cap in a BG...yet, what's the benefit for xp then??).

A hero is presently lfg - again, a little low (21), and no heals so people are doing their own thing, sadly. Again, it's random chance + your class type = success.

When you do get a group = it's the best game ever. Think of it like a fine and expensive meal. You can't always afford it, and might have to settle for beans and rice. But when you do get a steak...oh man oh man. Fun times.
Frenchie
Wanderer
Wanderer

kulina_stargazer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:30 pm Is it possible to get a group while leveling up currently? I understand you have to pay your dues in the newbie zone, but at some point along the way it would be great to get some groups and make friends.

How is the pace of leveling? Lets say I play a few hours a day, would I reach 50 in a month?

It has been my personal experience that when leveling here, it's pretty easy to get to 50. Some classes are stronger solo vs others, naturally.

When it comes to grouping, you will definitely have an increase in pace, but doing it by yourself is definitely doable.

RVR as of this moment are still a thing, but not as large or dragged out vs when the server was a bit more in it's prime.

But that's alright, because there will be a 2nd season! You get to keep your RP's and tradeskills though! So right now would be the prime opportunity, in my humble opinion, to get your tradeskills up (at least salvaging) and some toon some RR to keep for next season.
Frenchie
Wanderer
Wanderer

Frenchie wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:40 pm
kulina_stargazer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:30 pm Is it possible to get a group while leveling up currently? I understand you have to pay your dues in the newbie zone, but at some point along the way it would be great to get some groups and make friends.

It has been my personal experience that when leveling here, it's pretty easy to get to 50. Some classes are stronger solo vs others, naturally.

When it comes to grouping, you will definitely have an increase in pace, but doing it by yourself is definitely doable.

RVR as of this moment is still a thing, but not as large or dragged out vs when the server was a bit more in it's prime.

But that's alright, because there will be a 2nd season! You get to keep your RP's and tradeskills though! So right now would be the prime opportunity, in my humble opinion, to get your tradeskills up (at least salvaging) and some toon some RR to keep for next season.
As far as grouping goes, I'd like to recommend finding a guild, at least it would increase your chances of finding others to play with and get some XP in.
mackmall
Wanderer
Wanderer

first toon in 20 years wanted to RvR got to 50 in a few days now i have spent 6 days looking for any group not 1 group in 6 days for anything.. joined a guild, type in /lfg and even tried a bit of solo RvR. What i have found is people only play with there close friends that they have been playing with for years. If your not one of 3 classes people need in a zerg your sol
RussellAdams
Esquire
Esquire

mackmall wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:52 pm first toon in 20 years wanted to RvR got to 50 in a few days now i have spent 6 days looking for any group not 1 group in 6 days for anything.. joined a guild, type in /lfg and even tried a bit of solo RvR. What i have found is people only play with there close friends that they have been playing with for years. If your not one of 3 classes people need in a zerg your sol
It's an old game and the server pop is ridiculously small. DAoC has been a niche game for a few decades. And you're right, unless you are lucky enough to find people to play in the same exact time window, it's not worth playing. I log in now and again and try to get a group going on a number of toons. No one responds. I've been messing with it all summer.

Daoc is like that great girlfriend you might have had in high school. Twenty-years later she's not interested in your nostalgia, lol.

That being said, you could always get 50 with this god-awful quests, eventually. At that point you can log in and try to get into a BG group. (/who BG). A lot of times I've noticed folks also have specific BG class requests - heals, speed, CC. Usually.