One small patch for solo love? what do you have to lose

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Pedro*
Soldier
Soldier

One small patch for solo love? what do you have to lose

So,
another post where i will be probably be called a QQ, on the other hand, theres ppl who like to solo.
theres like 0.01% of the rvr map a solo spot, it has zone names so its possible to do zone adoptions to i think(im not a programmer)

Instead of only siege love , could u plz consider this suggestion?£

so, we have the /lff command working but theres nothing that helps it
we also got /fairfight command , which is very nice but it does nothing on here.

How about using these things for actually a nice addition and some solo love some of the player base has been asking desperately.

What if theres a kill in these solo zones, the game can do a /fairfight check and if the answer is no , u get no rps?

every day isee more and more smallmen, even full grps coming to these zones just to ruin nice fights and making ppl quit.

i imagine this suggestion must be doable and actually help solo players?
Grimm#6450
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: One small patch for solo love? what do you have to lose

I really do hope we do not get bow towns 2.0 ... .
If you want your fair fights, just gather 1v1 enthusiasts, get in a discord (only invite trusted 1v1 players) and set a zone far away from frequented areas every once in a while. That's what we did back in the days.
Pedro*
Soldier
Soldier

im not asking for a bowtown; why create a solo quest zone if lately only smallmen and groups come run over solos for easy rps.

they put some effort in it alrdy , the only ppl who get rewarded every time is ppl who zerge down other ppl.

i dont even care about rps i just try to enjoy fights
Grimm#6450
Wanderer
Wanderer

It is NOT a solo zone. There is an insentive for solos to go there. Everyone is free to roam NF as they please.
Numatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

I don't agree with a solo zone, or anything thereof.

However, solo is a massively overlooked issue with daoc because it's far easier to ignore it and say "it's a group based game" than to actually try to fix it. I don't envy freeshard devs because this same issue crops up all the time and they get heat for it. But none of them seem to recognize the massive influence it has on the game and it boggles my mind.

However, they need to really look at who plays this game. Many of us played daoc in it's infancy. I started when I was 17-18 I think. I'm 40 now with a wife, kid, mortgage, career etc.. 😱. We don't have hours and hours to dedicate. A lot of us just want to get on and fight without having to log into discord or group with a bunch of other people. We have kids, responsibilities, and just generally busy lives (I think except pilz 😅) that we frequently just afk randomly. It's why I play an assasin. If I'm out in the open traveling, I can just stealth and hide, go afk, and take care of business.

On that end, people group in daoc for 2 (combat related) reasons. To tackle stronger foes, and/or utility. I've been a big proponent for years to have a huge debuff against grouped players attacking soloers (based on nearby friendlies). If you're so inclined to think 8v1 should be a steamroll, then why do you group in the first place? Because you like squashing people without a challenge which goes against the entire point of game longevity. Eventually you get bored & quit and the people who get steamrolled quit. It's a lose lose.

Improving solo will have a huge impact on game/server life. People will feel more able to contribute/challenge without the social game related responsibilities that come with grouping. If I die solo, it's on me. If I die while grouped because I had to afk, it can very well kill my entire group depending on the class.

Will people complain? Of course. It's human nature to go against your best interest if it doesn't satisfy your short term needs. There's plenty of examples of humans doing just that.

But improving solo play will overall help the game, even if it makes it harder for groups to "compete". Having a fun challenging fight is where the reward and motivation spring from when continuing to RvR. You know how many times people run out, die once, and then log off?Because even though they died, it was probably overwhelmingly unsatisfying. Just being rolled over again, and again.

As it is now, this server is heavily against any kind of solo play. Sins can pretty much only hunt eachother, and visible solos get rolled by groups. So everything solo simply goes against that grain and no effort is put towards making solo a viable option in RvR.

The devs likely aren't going to change this because they've been pretty adamant about being true to live daoc as much as possible. And tbh, it's going to infuriate the the small but loud minority that have the most say in server direction. The majority it would improve for don't say anything. They just log off for the last time and never get back on, and go about their lives because it's not worth yelling into a void anymore. Nobody has listened in 20+ years, they aren't going to start now.

But that's just an old farts .02
Pedro*
Soldier
Soldier

thx for your constructive post Numatic, thats just the point why i make this topic.
The question is not to have a bowtown, or to make it a rp farm zone. Just a discouragement for ppl who outnumber other ppl.
Even for these ppl it can be a win win, they could like actually go have a fight there while waiting for their teammates to log in.
When ppl log in they can roam deserters according to their grp size.

This server is trying to make content for solo,duo,5 man , 8 man and zerge, with the focus on zerge, which is normal.

I just do believe keeping every playstyle viable only will result in the lifespan of the server
Grimm#6450
Wanderer
Wanderer

Pedro* wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 pm thx for your constructive post Numatic, thats just the point why i make this topic.
The question is not to have a bowtown, or to make it a rp farm zone. Just a discouragement for ppl who outnumber other ppl.
Even for these ppl it can be a win win, they could like actually go have a fight there while waiting for their teammates to log in.
When ppl log in they can roam deserters according to their grp size.

This server is trying to make content for solo,duo,5 man , 8 man and zerge, with the focus on zerge, which is normal.

I just do believe keeping every playstyle viable only will result in the lifespan of the server
I agree - but you start at the very top and work your way down to the bottom. Having only a limited time/dev regiment it is balancing around zerg/siege > ... > solo. And I do play as a duo like 95% of my time atm, just to let you know where I come from.

Ofc it is frustrating to get rolled by higher numbers ... but this can and will happen all over NF ... it is a risk you take when you head out in a small force or on your own.
I am sure, our fellow devs will try to improve on that content in the somewhat near future ... but there are bigger problems to work on, first. :-) I can only hope, the target approach will be of an incentivising and not punishing nature.

And as a personal side note: Trying to cater to everyone results in a pretty mediocre experience.
Zombiesomething
Esquire
Esquire

As stated by someone else, we are talking about a few dev's working in their spare time, I really don't want them putting much effort into a part of the game that was never the focus.

DAoC always has been, and should always be, a realm vs realm vs realm game, not a solo vs solo game. I don't mind some effort being put into helping figure out better bonuses for soloers, but plz do NOT try to get the dev's to take their time away from what the game was designed around.

It is easy on discord to talk to soloers and find an out of the way spot to get together and do your solo fights, and we see this every server anyway.

Realm vs realm vs realm zerg's always have, and always will, encourage casuals to jump in because they have a chance to earn rewards without being the most skilled or the best geared.

8v8/5man/3man/2man/solo is not casual friendly and tends to cater to elitist playstyle simply because it takes tremendous skill to compete as well as constant potion renewal plus fully temped gear which when you add them up tend to push casuals away as it start to gets more involved than they should need to compete.

I have no issues with everyone playing whatever style they want, but I truly hope the dev's don't start catering to the other playstyles at the expense of realm vs realm zergs. Play your style, but realize the bigger fish feed on the smaller, and that's a risk you take as you play smaller and smaller groups until you get to solo's who get ran over all the time.
mithenion
Wanderer
Wanderer

I agree with above... I encourage the Devs to remember DAoC is a group based MMORPG, was designed initially this way and as a player from original publish to TOA I believe DAoC's players overall are best served if the focus remains on the GROUP part.

I am a solo player and always will be in every game... but DAoC wasn't designed for solo players. Please Devs no matter how much Eden doesn't fit my desires, or anyone else's, remember what DAoC was in the beginning before the original Devs steered towards solo and forgot how they designed DAoC.

Remember the players that DAoC and it's RvR does fit with.
PsychoTrashCan
Wanderer
Wanderer

Zombiesomething wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:29 pm As stated by someone else, we are talking about a few dev's working in their spare time, I really don't want them putting much effort into a part of the game that was never the focus.

DAoC always has been, and should always be, a realm vs realm vs realm game, not a solo vs solo game. I don't mind some effort being put into helping figure out better bonuses for soloers, but plz do NOT try to get the dev's to take their time away from what the game was designed around.

It is easy on discord to talk to soloers and find an out of the way spot to get together and do your solo fights, and we see this every server anyway.

Realm vs realm vs realm zerg's always have, and always will, encourage casuals to jump in because they have a chance to earn rewards without being the most skilled or the best geared.

8v8/5man/3man/2man/solo is not casual friendly and tends to cater to elitist playstyle simply because it takes tremendous skill to compete as well as constant potion renewal plus fully temped gear which when you add them up tend to push casuals away as it start to gets more involved than they should need to compete.

I have no issues with everyone playing whatever style they want, but I truly hope the dev's don't start catering to the other playstyles at the expense of realm vs realm zergs. Play your style, but realize the bigger fish feed on the smaller, and that's a risk you take as you play smaller and smaller groups until you get to solo's who get ran over all the time.
Not picking on you in particular but my reply is in general to this perspective.

I would argue that DAoC at its core could be built upon the individual, to a degree that solo would be viable and even preferred in many cases. While grouping and seige warfare has always been the focus of RvR, you cant have that without a strong individual foundation. And by not nurturing that foundation, daoc fundamentally failed its base by catering to a superficial standard of "we zerg therefore we cater to that" mentality. I believe nurturing solo play will inevitably lead to far more rewarding gameplay for all playstyles.

(IMO) The point isn't just to have a "solo spot". Its to have solo fights happen naturally by nurturing that type of gameplay. And solo is where daoc actually begins in RvR. Almost everyone, at some point, has run solo, by happenstance or intentionally. Then they dont because they just constantly die to bigger numbers and nobody ever realizes how important it is to the life cycle of the game. You mention its an elitist playstyle, but thats only because the game punishes soloers by forcing them to be that way. Solo can absolutely be casual friendly if it was given the attention it deserves. People don't realize how many people quit because they simply cant solo at all with the way things are set up (this may seem like an assumption but its merely based on my observation of those I have spoken to over the years on why they quit(mostly other freeshards). The problem is these people dont say anything. They just quit and don't come back. While the zerg mentality welcomes all, it still very much favors a certain playstyle.

And by solo I don't mean just running around aimlessly looking for a 1v1. Solo could mean adding onto a large fight while not grouped. It could mean getting caught by a 2-4man while traveling. Imagine having a chance to defend yourself properly even being attacked by 3 people? Instead of just dying. No more would a soloer be free RPs and you would actually have to strategize to kill them. Weigh your options if the risk is worth it. But this is how daoc nurtures group play. By forcing it. And all it does and has ever done is create resentment against solo play. Group play should happen through naturalization, not forced complacency because thats the only way to play.

Then again its a 20+ year old game and I guess I could be asking too much. Maybe the game just isn't for me anymore because i never reach a level of satisfaction with it that I could when everything wasn't forced meta in the beginning. While I enjoy grouping at times, ive always been a soloer at heart and it just pains me that fixing something that would likely benefit the game as a whole (who really wants uninteresting 4v1 fights?) is always met with disdain. I just dont get it.
Play your style, but realize the bigger fish feed on the smaller, and that's a risk you take as you play smaller and smaller groups until you get to solo's who get ran over all the time.
When all the smaller fish die off (quit), you end up with nothing to eat anymore. And then you realize those smaller fish also made up a huge chunk of the population and now there's hardly any action anymore. Then the server dies. But imagine if those smaller fish felt rewarded for being out there and felt they could contribute and compete. Dying isnt the problem. Its dying with dissatisfaction. And thats what ends up disuading people from playing. You can see it even in zergs. When one zerg dies too much to the other, everyone just quits and logs off and stops trying. This is just another form of that. But it hits deeper.

But realistically, in 20 years, ive never even remotely seen this change for the better and I doubt its going to start anytime soon so i guess this is just more of a rant/vent than anything.