Server population declining?

Discuss about RvR
JR
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Server population declining?

I'm in the same boat as others have mentioned. I'm in my 40s. I have a busy job, busy household, and my time gets limited. Templating just ONE toon takes tons of raids or tons of plat to buy high utility items. I have no time to do 10+ raids for one template. I have no time to farm a ton of plat for one template. Add that into a few other little time sucking issues like no epic dungeon porters, quest all over the map, etc. If I am lucky, I get 2-6 hours a week to play. I've managed to template one toon but then the next issue is my only options are to run with the zerg to take keeps or get obliterated by high RR 8 man's. All of these currencies should just be ONE currency. Each raid should give more currency. I've found myself lately not even bothering to log in because of issues like this. I rather just watch TV for an hour or read a book or anything but farm farm farm, zerg zerg zerg, get ran over by 8 man's, or spend 15 minutes running out to a dungeon because there is no porter.
galaxgal
Esquire
Esquire

Well, I guess I'll share my opinion on why I don't play as much any more.

There isn't much to do as a casual NA player any more. No raids, sometimes a zerg maybe, or trying to low man and getting slapped by max CL RR8 guy after spending most of your time running / boating around. Templating is hard, pretty much the only way is to save up a bunch of plat and hope the items you need are on market, the catchup hunting quests are good but time consuming so it feels too little too late.

I still log in rarely, but I hope this server is still around for the 2nd season, I look forward to going it again. It does seem many of the "midseason" changes jolted the playerbase down quite a bit, especially in NA.
ALi3N
Wanderer
Wanderer

SemiPro wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:29 am Hi Guys,

Is it me or is the server population declining very quickly?

thanks
This happen when someone want to make a server of DAoC after 25 years and isn't i50.

The ppl is tired to leveling character for the 939582379 times.
Tsrx
Wanderer
Wanderer

ALi3N wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:03 pm
SemiPro wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:29 am Hi Guys,

Is it me or is the server population declining very quickly?

thanks
This happen when someone want to make a server of DAoC after 25 years and isn't i50.

The ppl is tired to leveling character for the 939582379 times.
Every single i50 server there has ever been have always had super low populations.

Whatever the issues are, and I think its a lot broader than most people think, its not the fact server isnt i50.
Raithax
Wanderer
Wanderer

I think in general people seem to like leveling, some like a lot of alts, some always wonder what another character at 50 would feel like in RVR.

I could be wrong, but I think the idea of putting heavy emphasis on templating is what bogs things down. It's great at first when the entire population needs to template. However, when enough move to RVR at 50 and no longer need a template or want alts, less people are left running those raids you need for templating.

This is where it becomes a real slog - you are not really competing at entry level until templated, then you have to get RRs to find out if your character plays how you like. I know some stick with their one and only main and that's great, it's just not everyone.

It took about 3 weeks before I was in a successful DF run to get the quest done for item access. Galladoria took slightly less long, and I think Dragon is easiest (hib side). But that is just for access, you need multiple runs to get the template going, and plat on top of that. People just aren't running as much raids - people get bored of trying to catch up and the population becomes stable at a lower level.

Without the influx of fresh players, you are relying on the top non-casual players to support the rest of the population, it's just not sustainable.
Israfel
Esquire
Esquire

Raithax wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:24 pm I think in general people seem to like leveling, some like a lot of alts, some always wonder what another character at 50 would feel like in RVR.

I could be wrong, but I think the idea of putting heavy emphasis on templating is what bogs things down. It's great at first when the entire population needs to template. However, when enough move to RVR at 50 and no longer need a template or want alts, less people are left running those raids you need for templating.

This is where it becomes a real slog - you are not really competing at entry level until templated, then you have to get RRs to find out if your character plays how you like. I know some stick with their one and only main and that's great, it's just not everyone.

It took about 3 weeks before I was in a successful DF run to get the quest done for item access. Galladoria took slightly less long, and I think Dragon is easiest (hib side). But that is just for access, you need multiple runs to get the template going, and plat on top of that. People just aren't running as much raids - people get bored of trying to catch up and the population becomes stable at a lower level.

Without the influx of fresh players, you are relying on the top non-casual players to support the rest of the population, it's just not sustainable.
You dont NEED a full temp to rvr, get resists and important stats up and fill in as you go, making cash on Eden is prty easy.
Fin / Valar
Knight
Knight

You don't need a full temp to go zerging..... if you want to make something a bit more interesting you ABSOLUTELY need a full temp since all you find around are groups of stealthers ganking people on the spots or the bard/whatever duo constantly running over people. I've passed about 1 hr yesterday evening (around EU midnight) at the Arvark deserters spot just to find: 1 Nightshade camping it, 2 or 3 times a bard/menta duo roaming there, a Minstrel/Scout duo. I was with my Epic-clothed Hunter you can easily imagine the outcome of those encounters :lol:
Guldkrona jag passar ej på
Ditt unga liv och blod måst gå
Raithax
Wanderer
Wanderer

Israfel wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:40 am
You dont NEED a full temp to rvr, get resists and important stats up and fill in as you go, making cash on Eden is prty easy.
Sorry but you're missing the gist of the post - if people aren't raiding it is exponentially harder to reach your temp. Money may be easy but raiding is far far easier. Also saying making money is easy is one thing, doing it without being able to supplement using raid currency is BORING, no matter which way you cut it. It's a grind, one which is alleviated when more people are active in raids.

Few suggestions:

1) Get rid of quests to use currency. Hib mostly only ever does dragon daily from what I see. You can easily convert currency but you still need to get the quest done for each raid currency - this can be a large hurdle for newer recruits to Eden.
2) Add platinum to the currency conversion table - trade currency for plat if you can never get access to a specific currency for items needed.
3) Increase monetary reward, item drops, or currency for raiding to entice fully temped players to return now and again.
4) Add bounty points to the currency conversion table - give RVR players a reason to help out in raids now and again.
Israfel
Esquire
Esquire

Im saying I just bought almost everything on house market and do /currency to exchange what I get from deserter runs, level 50 and full temp in a week is prty reasonable.

They could maybe adjust mob HP to match how many players are in the zone, I know phx did that with the raid dungeons.
Wuffilein
Wanderer
Wanderer

der staff is schuld das muss man einfach so sagen!
soviel kurzsichtigkeit hab ich noch nie gesehen ka ob sie nur die hibs pushen wollen oder einfach keine ahnung haben....
es ist allgemeiner konsens das 1.64 DER patch ist bei dem incl. NEW RA DIESES game nahezu perfekt balanced ist !
was macht dieser staff ? macht alles mögliche custom das garnixmehr daoc livelike ist....

denen ist noch nichtmal klar das 50% der spieler die sich auf einen neuen server freuen ( daher immer die hohe anzahl bei neuserver ) spätestens bei mezz/stun/bumbum das instant log stattfindet.....
gut wenn das selbst bei 1.64 so ist und man aber UNBEDINGT etwas custem machen will OHNE grossartig rumzunerven dann macht man einfach PURGE stärker.....
mein vorschlag purge 5 ...30 sek purge 4 ....alle 2 min usw...
für die heulsusen ( dürften vornehmlich hibs sein ) purge 5 muss man erstmal haben....

und was die high RR angeht verstehe ich die kurzsichtigkeit des staffs ebenso nicht....
ich weiss ehrlich gesagt nichtmehr wieviel RP man damals live ( vor dem RP flash ) bekommen hat aber bei 4 jahren dauer RVR 8l9 kann es nicht soviel gewesen sein und da gabs nur einen rr10 meines wissens.....( lyonesse )
also wo ist das problem das man zb. ab rr5 die rp einfach EXTREM kastriert ? wenn man selbst als dauerzocker 5 jahre brauchen um rr 10 zu werden wird die schere automatisch kleiner !
da braucht man dann keine saison oder so ein kram.....

das mit char level finde ich auf eden eigentlich angemessen und wer nicht allzu blöd ist, is maximal in 2 tagen 50 !

übrigens hat der patchstand und der custem kram dazu geführt das weder 8vs8 noch sonstwas auf diesem server stattfindet weil hibs einfach alles wegrubbeln und albs/mids so garkeine chance haben können !
ist einfach so!
bis auf den patchstand war phönix eigentlich nicht schlecht ( besonders das mit den flaggen ).

und falls das hier als was auch immer angesehen wird...ok ich habs zumindest versucht :)

grüsse

google übersetzung englisch

The staff is to blame, you just have to say it like that!
I've never seen so much short-sightedness, whether you just want to push your hibs or just have no idea....
There is a general consensus that 1.64 is THE patch in which incl. NEW RA THIS game is almost perfectly balanced!
what does this staff do? does everything custom that garnixmehr daoc is livelike....

it is not even clear to them that 50% of the players who are looking forward to a new server (hence the high number with new servers) the instant log takes place at the latest at mezz/stun/bumbum.....
well if that's the case even with 1.64 and you ABSOLUTELY want to do something custom WITHOUT being a big nuisance then you just make PURGE stronger.....
my suggestion purge 5 ... 30 sec purge 4 .... every 2 min etc...
for the crybabies (probably mainly hibs) you have to have purge 5 first....

and as far as the high RR is concerned, I don't understand the short-sightedness of the staff either....
I honestly don't know how much RP you got live back then (before the RP flash) but with 4 years of RVR 8l9 it can't have been that much and there was only one RR10 as far as I know.....(lyonesse)
so where is the problem that you zb. from rr5 the rp simply EXTREMELY neutered? if you need 5 years to become rr 10 as a long-term gambler, the gap automatically gets smaller!
you don't need a season or anything like that.....

I think the char level on eden is actually appropriate and if you're not too stupid, you can reach 50 in 2 days at most!

By the way, the patch status and the custom stuff has meant that neither 8vs8 nor anything else takes place on this server because hibs just grub away everything and albs/mids can't have a chance at all!
that's just how it is!
apart from the patch status, phoenix wasn't bad (especially the one with the flags).

and if this is considered whatever...ok at least i tried :)

greetings