Why no artifacts?

The right place for talking about Dark Age of Camelot or Eden
Finsal
Esquire
Esquire

Re: Why no artifacts?

So quite a few people want the reskins?

But not the artifacts?

somebody explain what it is that would break the whole ethos?

Without being angry or shouting :)

fin
Labra
Wanderer
Wanderer

I'd like to have artifacts too (and toa zones because I love them but I digress).

I believe they would add more diversity even if in the end, like current server setup, everyone would end up with almost same spec/stuff anyway.

People are afraid of TOA (artifacts, ML) content because of many reasons. I put aside ML since it's not the topic.

Main reasons I often read are time, pve, balance.

Time:
Let's be honest, it was a shitty configuration at first, when you had to wait for a mob to pop, be lucky to not get it stolen, be even more lucky to actually drop the artifact.
It was a time sink that people don't want today, me included.

PVE:
It's a no go for some of us. Getting to pve (again) to get the artifact, the scrolls then...xp that artifact.
Remember belt of the sun/moon and other artifact levelling configuration.
It was poorly designed. Again a time sink and a no go.

Balance:
That's a more debattable topic.
Some artifacts are quite op and would induce some imbalance, like SoM or even Egg of youth, and many more.
Mostly people don't want artifacts because they induce imbalance, more /use, more "cheat death" things that weren't there in what most think was the golden age of DAOC.
But that's debattable because anyone could have it and, for Egg for instance, I believe it would be something nice to have.

This being said, people on Eden rush for /use items, rush for pve bg, sobekite etc to get more and more items, being more and more powerful so it could be something ironic refusing artifacts for those reasons...

I'm fine with current server setup.
Yea, I know, if I want artifact I can go play live...
But maybe in another season setup we could try.
Maybe something like artifact already activated/level 10, that you buy with some currency or bp or doing something while pvp, I don't know..
Maybe even limit one use or artifact at a time to keep the classic feel.
Bigg Dogg IOW
Wanderer
Wanderer

Is there a way to make Malice a right hand pattern? I do not care about disguising my shield. I want to disguise my weapon.
My current Malice pattern only does Left hand, and the 2h pattern I have will not do it for my 1h (right hand) weapon.
That dog don't hunt...but this one does...
Idi
Warrior
Warrior

Finsal wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:18 am Simple question why no artifacts?
Between the disparate abilities of each class, differences in realm rank and realm abilities, champion levels, and the items it takes to make a template, the gap is already huge between the new and casual player base and those already established, let alone those at the higher realm ranks. Artifacts just make that gap even wider, which is why players walk away from the game.
Finsal wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:18 am and lets be honest who would not like to see shades of the mist or eiryns charm?
Me.
Clemy
Wanderer
Wanderer

please dont, am already afraid to come back :mrgreen: