Need advice: Perks of Runemaster over Thane?

A place for talking about everything related to the realm of Midgard.
Raspin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Need advice: Perks of Runemaster over Thane?

I currently have a runemaster, but was looking at character planner of a Thane and noticed a Thanes spells delve higher than all but darkness spec nuke, have longer range, lower cast time and less power. Thanes also have their full chain, can spec high into shield for block and 9sec stun etc.

Can someone more knowledgeable explain why Thane isn't just a better Runemaster? I do know there are some differences where Runemaster can get NS and PBT if you spec suppression, but Thane also gets access to strong RAs like Static Tempest. What would major advantages of Runemaster be to pick over Thane?
Fin / Valar
Knight
Knight

Re: Need advice: Perks of Runemaster over Thane?

Raspin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:14 pm I currently have a runemaster, but was looking at character planner of a Thane and noticed a Thanes spells delve higher than all but darkness spec nuke, have longer range, lower cast time and less power. Thanes also have their full chain, can spec high into shield for block and 9sec stun etc.

Can someone more knowledgeable explain why Thane isn't just a better Runemaster? I do know there are some differences where Runemaster can get NS and PBT if you spec suppression, but Thane also gets access to strong RAs like Static Tempest. What would major advantages of Runemaster be to pick over Thane?
Nothing at all :lol:

Runemaster is by far the worst caster of the entire game, it has some utility in the Supp line with NS (PBT here is garbage in RvR, since the damage is mostly magical) or in Runecarving as debuffer for the cold train, if used.
The actives RA are totally useless unless you are RR10 and want to cook people with Volcanic Pillar 5 once every 15mins. The RR5 RA is another trash, since it can be used only for melee and, as I said before, the magic damage is way above melees on Eden.

So basically the only utility for a RM in a party is the Nearsight... ah yes and confusion to instakill shrooms or theurgs' pets
Guldkrona jag passar ej på
Ditt unga liv och blod måst gå
Raspin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Okay so I wasn't really missing something to consider that would make runemaster a great pick. That's a shame.
Drakkars
Wanderer
Wanderer

runemasters nuke for far higher than thanes do. Their spell damage just plain scales higher and they also get the brain buff for more acuity.

They both have good points. That thane melee helps as well as the spike from chain lightning, insta DD and Doomhammer can be nasty. But NS is a huge advantage, pbt is huge for group support. Having your own speed buff as a runey is huge. A well played runemaster at range is a devastating caster to be up against.
Erikksen
Wanderer
Wanderer

Do RMs still get the GTAoE? I couldn’t find it in the character builder.

That would be a really nice utility in my books
Fin / Valar
Knight
Knight

Erikksen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:03 pm Do RMs still get the GTAoE? I couldn’t find it in the character builder.

That would be a really nice utility in my books
Sure they have it, it's under the Runecarving line... check for "mark of whatever", it's the gtaoe spell name and you'll find them in the aoe spells under RC.

But about utility.....well ok to interrupt in siege fights, anywhere else on open field is totally and completely useless :D
Godrin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Perks of Runemaster over Thane...

You are correct that the DD does say it's higher damage for everything except the spec dark DD. But it's literally 1.5 more damage, and it's 40 damage below the dark spec DD. Plus, the RM's spells delve harder than the Thane so yes it says it's more but any of the speclines for the RM are still going to hit harder with their spells. Plus they get acuity buffs so they can cast for a much much longer time.

You are also correct that it's longer distance than RM's ones... but Nearsight is an incredibly powerful tool. With full cast distance range bonus on the RM, Nearsight has a 2530 range. Even with full cast distance bonus on the Thane in an open field the RM is going to NS you WAY before you're in range (making that 1650 range sub 1000), and then kill you before you can walk into melee range.

Bolts from a RC RM can do upwards of 1000 damage each. On about a 1 second cast. From 2000 units away. Sure against a thane they can be blocked, but nothing a Thane can do can come anywhere near that raw firepower. The only reason those are balanced is they have a 20 second cooldown, but almost 2000 damage in two seconds is enough to take down just about anyone that's running away.

The fact that they're wearing chain means absolutely nothing in a spellfight.

They're both awesome classes and the Thane is an incredibly strong class, but you can't compare a hybrid and a dedicated spellcaster for spellcasting.

Perks of Thane over Runemaster...

You don't become inert and useless once someone bops you on the nose with a stick. But a good RM tries to never get that close.
Boridi
Wanderer
Wanderer

Godrin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:40 pm Perks of Runemaster over Thane...

You are correct that the DD does say it's higher damage for everything except the spec dark DD. But it's literally 1.5 more damage, and it's 40 damage below the dark spec DD. Plus, the RM's spells delve harder than the Thane so yes it says it's more but any of the speclines for the RM are still going to hit harder with their spells. Plus they get acuity buffs so they can cast for a much much longer time.

You are also correct that it's longer distance than RM's ones... but Nearsight is an incredibly powerful tool. With full cast distance range bonus on the RM, Nearsight has a 2530 range. Even with full cast distance bonus on the Thane in an open field the RM is going to NS you WAY before you're in range (making that 1650 range sub 1000), and then kill you before you can walk into melee range.

Bolts from a RC RM can do upwards of 1000 damage each. On about a 1 second cast. From 2000 units away. Sure against a thane they can be blocked, but nothing a Thane can do can come anywhere near that raw firepower. The only reason those are balanced is they have a 20 second cooldown, but almost 2000 damage in two seconds is enough to take down just about anyone that's running away.

The fact that they're wearing chain means absolutely nothing in a spellfight.

They're both awesome classes and the Thane is an incredibly strong class, but you can't compare a hybrid and a dedicated spellcaster for spellcasting.

Perks of Thane over Runemaster...

You don't become inert and useless once someone bops you on the nose with a stick. But a good RM tries to never get that close.
Screenshot of RM doing 2000 dmg with two casts?
DAoC [Boltik] / EvE [Erazar]
Wanderer
Wanderer

Godrin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:40 pm
Bolts from a RC RM can do upwards of 1000 damage each.
clasic daoc, yup... with ToA bonuises/resists and all the other crpa ToA brought, unless you come up against a none sc'd noob, your bolts will not do 1k dmg.

Im pretty much fully toa'd i rarely hit above 500 with bolts against clothys (with crit i may get extra 1-200 dmg but then i have wp5 & aug dex 4 etc.

I used to play Uthgard, RM's on that server were fun, there bolts actually did nice damage, on this server RM's bolts are gimped.

ToA bonuses killed fun fights in daoc imo, fights are usually over in seconds, some classes became severely gimped due to the ToA bonuses while others excelled because o fit, if there was another active daoc shard with classic, id be gone already!!
Fin / Valar
Knight
Knight

DAoC [Boltik] / EvE [Erazar] wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:23 am
Godrin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:40 pm
Bolts from a RC RM can do upwards of 1000 damage each.
clasic daoc, yup... with ToA bonuises/resists and all the other crpa ToA brought, unless you come up against a none sc'd noob, your bolts will not do 1k dmg.

Im pretty much fully toa'd i rarely hit above 500 with bolts against clothys (with crit i may get extra 1-200 dmg but then i have wp5 & aug dex 4 etc.

I used to play Uthgard, RM's on that server were fun, there bolts actually did nice damage, on this server RM's bolts are gimped.

ToA bonuses killed fun fights in daoc imo, fights are usually over in seconds, some classes became severely gimped due to the ToA bonuses while others excelled because o fit, if there was another active daoc shard with classic, id be gone already!!
Totally agree with you: TOA bonuses are useless crap.