One small patch for solo love? what do you have to lose

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Vildi
Soldier
Soldier

Re: One small patch for solo love? what do you have to lose

I've said it before in other threads and other servers when this kind of topic pops up, its the players base that spoils things, the devs could give a soloers wet dream experience and the player base will find a way to spoil it, and sadly there's not a thing can be done about that.

I really dont think having a static area helps in either deserters/loot grab in folly etc as that allows groups to roam/camp there for easy kills.
Pedro*
Soldier
Soldier

im actually happy with all the feedback coming to this thread,

Nice to see some discussions , without rant or QQ but were everyone can put in decent feedback.
Epicburn
Esquire
Esquire

Solo means you went out solo.. it doesn't mean anything else or the expectation of anything else.

I find 1v1s at the Box keeps.. I also find 2v1+ at deserters and occasionally get run over but outside of fixing the RP scale on solo kills aka.. A rr4 kills a rr8 he should get increased rps (Been broke for like a month) you really can't do much.

Fact it a ton of people who make these type of posts just want Bow-towns when they "Solo" I am not accusing you of that I just explaining that a lot of folks who make posts like these are also screaming "Solo zones" etc and RvR is RvR.

Solo has/always will be a bit of a Masochistic Endeavor
Zombiesomething
Esquire
Esquire

PsychoTrashCan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:18 amWhen all the smaller fish die off (quit), you end up with nothing to eat anymore. And then you realize those smaller fish also made up a huge chunk of the population and now there's hardly any action anymore. Then the server dies.
A majority of every free shard are casual players, and casuals tend to favor the zerg. That's not to say they don't solo obviously, but most soloers tend to be the more pro oriented players who max out temp and potion useage and anything else they can min/max. While some casuals will do this, a lot won't which makes zerg's more appealing. Casuals who try to solo and try to gear up and try to get the potions figured out still tend to get rolled quick simply because they don't do it enough to compete, then they go back to the zerg.

I don't care if dev's try to help soloers, but I don't want them to in any way step back from group play which is what DAoC was founded on.

Also, if 50% of the soloers quit playing, it would hurt the population, but a vast majority of players still play in the group setting like zerg/8man/5man/3man/duo and they would keep playing.

The big difference is, it is a WHOLE lot easier for the dev's to focus on the group game, because it covers a vast majority of the players, while spending time on soloers helps a small percent in the overall scheme.

Lastly I will say, any time soloers start getting things added, it doesn't take long for them to start begging for more things like faster speed items or charges, or better ability to reduce CC, or better ways to avoid groups, or whatever. The game is literally built on group play which is the point of multiple classes, and it gets old when soloers start asking for extra abilities since they are soloing and need help. I am not saying ALL soloer's btw, but every freeshard I have played on has the exact same arguments brought up by soloers and it gets old.
Blacksin
Esquire
Esquire

This a raid daoc server. They don't care about solo's. I really think, they think, solo's stupid and unnecessary.
If they cared about solo's they would increase coin and gear drop 25%. Fix the mob locations. Have 10 mobs min. at the red dots.
Increase timers for quests to 5 mins 4 named mobs in quests, so we don't have to wait so long.
And plz GIVE US THE CHANCE TO HAVE BUFFS LEVELING AT NPC, ON TILL WE DIE. I never had good gear or money leveling the first time around. I spent money on potions. Pretty lame.
I have a necro for farming now and money not an issue. Everyone level a farm toon first.
Fin / Valar
Knight
Knight

Blacksin wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:35 pm This a raid daoc server. They don't care about solo's. I really think, they think, solo's stupid and unnecessary.
If they cared about solo's they would increase coin and gear drop 25%. Fix the mob locations. Have 10 mobs min. at the red dots.
Increase timers for quests to 5 mins 4 named mobs in quests, so we don't have to wait so long.
And plz GIVE US THE CHANCE TO HAVE BUFFS LEVELING AT NPC, ON TILL WE DIE. I never had good gear or money leveling the first time around. I spent money on potions. Pretty lame.
I have a necro for farming now and money not an issue. Everyone level a farm toon first.
This. 100%.
If you want to template a hybrid class you'll need endless raids boring af, or a semi-autonomous farming toon to get enough money to buy what you need to template.
You don't want to template? Fine, you can do it and go zerging around, because if you try solo/small/group roaming you'll find almost every super-capped toon (gear cap and RR cap of course) and they'll make you regret your choice. And this habit happens also in Battlegrounds..... LOL!

This is not a server for casuals or semi-casuals, unless you just want to hit walls and doors and, sometimes, have a nice aoe spamming fight against enemy zergs (and I love zerg fights but with those zerg numbers it is just /effect none and spam a key, there is no positioning, no side focus, nothing but aoe and RA spam).
Guldkrona jag passar ej på
Ditt unga liv och blod måst gå
Idi
Warrior
Warrior

Vildi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:21 am ....its the players base that spoils things
By and large, yes. Stealthers are rarely satisfied being able to attack targets from invisibility, so they group up to do it as a mob. This, in turn, leads to vis chars grouping to counter, and it just escalates from there.
Vildi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:21 amdevs could give a soloers wet dream experience and the player base will find a way to spoil it
Meh...while they certainly can't control the genocide of solo classes, they can create the conditions to at least limit the opportunity and make it take a greater amount of effort than that which exists on Eden atm.

Vildi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:21 amI really dont think having a static area helps in either deserters/loot grab in folly etc as that allows groups to roam/camp there for easy kills.
The static camps absolutely contribute to the camping problem that takes place on Eden. When you designate a static area for a specific number of players, you have just given incentive to thirsty players to form larger groups and camp those sites in order to farm smaller groups. Combine that with the fact that Eden makes players farm multiple mobs to get their deserter credit, and the current system actually sets them up for failure by putting them in combat with mobs before they get jumped by larger numbers.

A dynamic system with no specific numbers requirment, that rotates from zone to zone with the realm task and allows players to enter an area and rapidly get credit without the need to be put into combat is a far superior approach. Players won't know what to expect, so they can't garauntee hitting a solo or duo the way they can with the Eden system. Spread out the areas far enough, and it will help give solo and duo classes a better chance to get in and out before getting ran over, and will allow them to have more meeting engagements that will create better fights.

I used to run tasks on phoenix on a hero, and while I would get ran over from time to time, the way the flags were set up allowed you to sneak into the lesser used flag areas for credit, and you'd stand a better chance of finding the solo fights people were looking for in game aside from the usual dock/relic gate/bridge areas. On Eden I don't even waste my time, as I'm usually ran over before I can complete a single task.
galaxgal
Esquire
Esquire

Yeah the deserter and crate quests are unsatisfying to the point where I don't bother with them. Power gap between casuals and religiously capped players is pretty wide, and the quests themselves only give a trickle of RP and currency for the hassle of being ganked or getting your face repeatedly smashed in by a guy at RR6 with a full suite of charges and buffs.

Both zerg surfing and solo/smallman may have similar amounts of RP earned, but one simply requires less effort and preparation than the other get anything out of, meaning only the toppest of the top want to do nonzerg RvR.
Israfel
Esquire
Esquire

galaxgal wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:00 pm Yeah the deserter and crate quests are unsatisfying to the point where I don't bother with them. Power gap between casuals and religiously capped players is pretty wide, and the quests themselves only give a trickle of RP and currency for the hassle of being ganked or getting your face repeatedly smashed in by a guy at RR6 with a full suite of charges and buffs.

Both zerg surfing and solo/smallman may have similar amounts of RP earned, but one simply requires less effort and preparation than the other get anything out of, meaning only the toppest of the top want to do nonzerg RvR.
Which is fkn horrible, I am still trying to improve my tank game with a NA ping (no AHK will not help and not needed, you simply cant /face, /style without waiting 0.xxx seconds to use that positional), its very difficult to find anyone for 8v8 in the sense that youll have other people to practice with and get better. Its much more likely you run into the top 8mans and get splattered, hence the zerg surfing which is literally two starving mobs fighting for scraps. You never feel like you win, or lose, just another progress bar that will eventually fill up if you keep fighting for the scraps long enough. You never improve or develop your own playstyle/feel for the game or your class just mindless smashing into keeps and other zergs. Thers a reason said top 8man doesnt do that shit, its unproductive, not fun, and it has already crushed more than half the Eden pop.

Every time a server appears we see that there are about 3000 people with an active interest, people willing to play if they are having fun, but they having been shafted repeatedly- you can tell with every subsequent server the "grace period" offered by the private server community only gets smaller. This is what you mentioned that devs dont understand, specifically the idea of "The DAOC private server community" and what they desire.
Gildara
Wanderer
Wanderer

To be honest, and as someone who has always soloed. On some of the most unpopular classes.. namely the warrior :P

Little needs to be done to accommodate the soloer. This is an expansive mmorpg, wherein grouping is a viable option. If you want to get out there and roam, then you do so in fully knowledge of the life that awaits you. You will run into imblanaced unfair fights, you will get run over by fg's, you will as happened to me a number of times on ywain, get chased across 3 zones by Hero and his zerg. Such is the life of the soloer. I much prefer Eden's use of Moy, Folley and Trelle to how they are on ywain. Wherein, a small section of the community with the ear of the CM and Devs have built their own toxic cultural hot spot.

Being a soloer isn't supposed to be easy. But it does give you the opportunity for some great fights. The joy of being a duo, or smashing a mini stealth zerg into the ground, the tactical and technical skill required to overcome class imbalances, learning how to fight different classes and players. That in and of itself is why I enjoy soloing. If I get run over by a zerg.. well that just another day with Hero around...