Nearly one month of Eden

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Alando
Wanderer
Wanderer

Nearly one month of Eden

So when the server opened I rolled on Hib and managed to get a Ranger to 50 rather quickly and into RvR as well. I had a little fun fighting people, but the overall RvR situation can only be described as a continuation of live server problems, amplified x10.

All keep fights are Trebuchet contests, with the attacker always winning thanks to the limited space inside keeps and the problems associated with placing a GT outside a keep through minimally sized windows. During this patchstate on live, especially without masterlevel, on the "classic" server, it was massive keep fights with lord room defense and bombs stacked everywhere.

On Eden its just 5 GT placed in the lordroom and trebuchet fire, GTAEO or Volley interrupting all caster or supporters in the keep. As a result nobody appears to keep defense. Defending a keep is 0/10 on the fun scale. You cannot defend anywhere, because every inch of keepwall, tower, window or keep space will be bombarded with trebuchet stone balls, that hit for up to 500 damage. Keep defense is a pointless task and nobody is interested. Farming PvE holds more interest than defending a keep, even to primarily RvR-focused players. (Maybe just go small-man porter and ruin people's fun by farming them when doing quests. Such fun!)

The solo/duo porter that lets you skip any and all running to enemy realms completely destroyed the bridge meta or the possibility to defend your frontier. On several occasions did I spawn right behind an enemy realm caster who was doing PvE stuff in their own frontier. The focus on "instant action" via this porter is a dumb concession to the playerbase that is harmful to the server overall. Make people spend time to get to places, that way it is meaningful if they are killed and do not just heal sickness, run to the solo porter and plop up at the enemy deserter quest spots 90 seconds after they were killed.

Keeping DF open at all times for all realms has also made it a hotspot for instant PvP, and took away a large incentive for realms to actively participate in open world RvR, in order to unlock DF. Now it's just available whenever.

Completely untypical activities like Instant solo porter, DF merchant camping, PoC merchant camping and keep siege trebuchet spam are the most effective ways to earn RP, instead of actually fighting enemies. Added to the normal liver-server keep raid zerg that just gets rr12 eventually by doing nothing but taking keeps and towers for RPs, mostly without any defenders (but still gaining RP because why not).

For me personally the server is already in serious trouble. Too many things were "improved during the creation of the server" and made significantly worse than even live was at NF release. While at the same time obvious issues with damage scaling of some classes, mob HP and damage tables are obviously wrong, but are not being addressed at all.

If this was the last final beta test, I would say "ok, this could actually work if a few things are tweaked and some stuff is added". But as a freeshard experience it is even significantly worse than Phoenix.

I will not be returning to the server.

PS. I did reroll on Mid in an attempt to help balance the server population a bit, but it's a pointless endeavor. The RvR is just not fun with how the game currently is.

PPS. The completely justified ban of Stumpy has also seriously fucked Midgard as whole. In the two days since he was banned the number of raids run on Midgard has dropped by roughly 80%. For casual players, this means Alb and Hib are significantly more attractive to play on because they can just float along the very frequent PvE raids to get currency for their templates. (The fact that this can actually affect the server on this large a scale means the ideas and design for endgame equipment acquisition were flawed from the start)
Mortarion
Esquire
Esquire

Re: Nearly one month of Eden

Very thoughtful and very accurate post. I'm glad someone else who has played two realms notices the issues. I'm about in the same boat as you. I spent a ton of time templating an SB only to find out that they are completely trash on this server because for whatever reason the damage table and custom changes that impact NS have them so far and away ahead it's a joke. I've debated just deleting my templated 50 sb and moving on. There is basically no reason to play him.

As for raiding, you're 100 percent correct. The ban was clearly justified but it couldn't have come at a worse time for mid. Today during reboots it was also glaringly obvious to see realm balance in action. Hib was able to launch a DF raid with nearly two times as many players. That's not pvp so much as it's just getting steamroller. Sure, you get rps but you never win. The fun factor goes down significantly when you realize you can rarely if ever win which circles back to my previous statement about SBs. They're not really run because the moment you encounter a templated NS or even an untemplated VW or friar you get shit on. I've had a untemplated 48 VW hit me. For 350 plus 250 and I hit back combined for 130 while fully buffed. The class balance issues are obvious for anyone willing to look.
Fin / Valar
Knight
Knight

At the current state the Server is far from perfect, that's for sure.
Don't get me wrong, the effort is huge and there's a lot of job behind Eden, but too many things are poorly conceived:

One above all is DF open to the 3 realms. That's awful, it kills any exp in DF and PvP in frontier, with full groups camping exp spots to get some really easy RPs. Then PvE quests: useful tools to get some decent exp but they are clearly conceived to make you pointlessly run across an entire zone map just to waste time, with the Bounty quests being the worst of all because of named spawn timers. Then all the grinding in PvE endgame: lots of raids, all different but basically all the same, boring to death, running inside large dungeons basically doing the same things again and again. Templating here is a pain, a real pain and I really cannot understand why they did this to us (Yeah I have some clues but I'll keep them for myself). The balance between realms is almost non-existent. I know this is an issue that Daoc has since its birth, but here it seems (at least to me) that the staff have put a lot of work on other things and very very little on balancing classes (Savages anyone? lol). Underwater moving/fighting is another awful thing that should be removed at all from Daoc. Maybe it's me but I find it really ugly, poorly done and with no meaning at all since there are no ToA maps here (where it could have some sense, but anyway I hated ToA zones because so many of them were underwater lol). Keeps sieges are truly a war-machines festival, there should be a limit to trebs/catapults both for defenders and attackers. If a BG with 150 ppl can pop a treb for each there is something terribly wrong in it....

In brief, I think that the Eden Staff is a very talented and capable team, but some of their basic concepts about Daoc terrify me. It's a 20 years old game, there is no point to force people to run across maps searching for mobs, or to repeat boring raids again and again. We've already done these things infinite times, and we don't feel the urge to repeat them for weeks again. I will still be playing on Eden, mainly because there is no other Daoc alternative and because some of my friends are here, but to be honest I still hope that some "early Phoenix"-like shard will rise soon, or that something on Eden could change, especially with Exp rate and end-game content and items. ("early" because at a certain point they too messed all up with realms balance without any reason to do it lol).
Guldkrona jag passar ej på
Ditt unga liv och blod måst gå
Hamsta
Wanderer
Wanderer

Sadly I'm on the same train as OP.

Lets take my view on eden step by step.

First of all the leveling is awesome. It kinda hits the sweatspot of speed and grind. Being able to get a hunter from 1-50 in less then 18 hours without getting worked up on group finding or grinding mindless spots is great. Feels really satisfing even with less popular classes.

The gearing up is dreadfully slow. It feels like the time to actually get all items and be online at the right time to actually get a raid done is just bad. If it would be one dragon raid for an item and not 4, fine. but painfully slogging through the most afk and boring content endless times for every character feels horrible. I feel being forced to violently waste my time. Also we aren't 20 anymore. So if nobody on an pretty empty realm does a raid when you are online for 2-3 hours? tough luck. also banning the main raidleader isn't really helping this problem.

Now to the elefant in the room. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and holy sh** there's a lot of em. Deserterquests are killing pvp, let me explain why. For a tiny amount of RPs everybody and their mother travels to these spots. Either to do the quest or to farm those who try to do them. In addition they have the small scale porter to get there again within 2 minutes of dying.

What does this mean for the rest of the pvp zone? it's dead. all pvp currently is are zergs raiding keeps with endless trebs and smallscales who farm solos doing the quest. bleed/crauch/beno bridge? dead. no solos, no stealtherfights, no nothing. occasionally you get 1-2 people running to docks in an hours of playtime, if you're lucky. bridge to EV? dead. nobody has business there because frontierleveling is dead, cuz quests are so much better.

i get that the speed charges help to turn down the stress of mounts in rvr on the server. but still they just feel a bit overtuned. at least make people using them in pvp glow like they would on a shiny horse.

Being a stealther and going into a keep? have fun with the agrorange of 12312342145 million guards that all hit like trucks and unstealth you if you even come close. fun thing about that is, that guards are acutally a bigger thread to any keeptakers than defenders, because you can't just treb them away :D

DF seems like one of the only places where you can get a slight fix in 1on1 or 1onX combat. but in the end it is just merchant camping. to thrill of getting kicked out if you die. basically no people really leveling there compared to the old days, cuz quests are so much better.

Eden breaks my heart. I loved the leveling and was really pumped to do RVR. but the reality is, that this is its worst iteration on a freeshard i've seen. you've taken the least fun rvr part and turned its mass up to 11. can it be fixed? maybe, but i guess in 1-2 months time the server will be dead because raiding empty keeps (because defending is nearly impossible even against pilz) isn't the most fun content tbh.

My feedback would be:

1. Remove smallscale porter
2. Remove deserter quests
3. Increase the RP gained for defending a keep/tower
4. Remove the trebs
5. Make DF great again and only accessable for one realm at a time
6. Make summoners hall restricted somewhat like df
7. Increase the token drops of raid content at least by 2 or more
8. Remove or adjust the scaling of dd's from str/dex/..., just flat delve vs resists
9. Make frontierleveling better. give us frontier quests to kill stuff and rewards tons of xp. turn down savezone quest rewards after lvl 20

I think Eden Devs are a bunch of talented people, but some things shouldn't be tampered with. The gamebalance was always a very fragile thing and it's very easily broken.

I too won't be returning to Eden. Waiting the few months on Phoenix 2. Leveling will be a shitshow again but hey... at least the endgame was fine on Phoenix 1.