Reason for Server Reset

The right place for talking about Dark Age of Camelot or Eden
perseus7777
Wanderer
Wanderer

Reason for Server Reset

Hey Guys, was trying Eden out. Got a couple 50's then heard about the server reset. Kinda hesitant to invest time to it knowing this. Also, the friends that came over from Live with me already went back and will not play because of the reset.

I am not complaining, it is what it is. My question is, why is there a reset? The people who achieve high RR will just jump to the top again and those that are low will just be low again. Seems like resetting just penalizes those who struggle in RVR and keeps them from achieving high RR's. I personally do not have an issue. Heck I leveled 2 toons, fully templated and OMW to RR4 in 5 days so it's not too bad.

Just wonder why it's like this is all. See you guys out there!

Thanks,
Fully gutted Eden Pally ftw.
Gimpy Gutted Pally
kha0Sborn
Esquire
Esquire

Re: Reason for Server Reset

It is the way, we have to have our Shemitah, all debt shall be forgiven!
Pollo Jack
Esquire
Esquire

It's to balance the RR1-3 going into RR10-12. Which should frankly be rebalanced as RR is just another time sink to get you to keep that monthly subscription which Eden doesn't have.

You get your RR back next season along with your crafting skills. The RR will be capped at like RR3, then increased next week and so on. So, if oyu are RR 6 each week is like unlocking more of your RR to you and all RPs you earn count to your max RR.
stewbeedoo
Soldier
Soldier

The intent of the seasons model is to recognize that all freeshards go through a lifecycle where there are initially tons of players with similar abilities and parity. Then the hardcore folks achieve better gear, specs, RR abilities, etc. and dominate the casual players. Then the casual players get frustrated and quit because they can't compete anymore. Then the hardcore players get bored and quit too. There is also an element where the nostalgia which is initially fun and motivating fades over time and some quit due to this.

With seasons, the nostalgia tour gets renewed and for the first few months the casuals can compete with the hardcore players again. All the effort the Devs initially put into the server is not lost, because we get a new lifecycle without creating a brand new server. With each season the code gets more stable and loaded with QOL improvements. Just look at Eden: Slick launcher, Discord integration, floating combat text, fair fight summary, Realm Invasion, Recorder to replace AHK, simpler poison system, custom commands, etc. I could go on for a while but Eden is far more complete/advanced than any DAoC server ever, including Live.

Another benefit is, since we retain our RR, a new season is also an opportunity to start a new char/class and be on par with high RR folks. While you are building the template, spec and RR abilities of your new char, your old chars are also automatically regaining their RR as well. Without seasons starting a new char traditionally means you will struggle and get farmed by high RR opponents.
perseus7777
Wanderer
Wanderer

Personally, I want all toons right now but by the time I get all toons to 50 and get them a decent RR, I fear they will be reset. I understand the other points above however some never play in the first place due to them knowing their efforts and time will be wiped away.

I do not want a different class every wipe. I like playing all of them all of the time but a wipe will prevent any of them from achieving high RR unless you focus on one or two during a season which is boring as heck imo.

I think I understand why but I do not totally agree with it.
Gimpy Gutted Pally
stewbeedoo
Soldier
Soldier

As long as you get to 2L4 your char will carry over it's RR. That is only 20,475 RPs.

The only thing you lose is being level 50 which doesn't take long once a year.

To me this is not an arduous thing in order to refresh interest/population and also let my low RR chars be competitive.
Nunki
Esquire
Esquire

perseus7777 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:27 pm Personally, I want all toons right now but by the time I get all toons to 50 and get them a decent RR, I fear they will be reset. I understand the other points above however some never play in the first place due to them knowing their efforts and time will be wiped away.

I do not want a different class every wipe. I like playing all of them all of the time but a wipe will prevent any of them from achieving high RR unless you focus on one or two during a season which is boring as heck imo.

I think I understand why but I do not totally agree with it.
It really helps to gather all the information you have before asuming stuff.
You will keep RPs/titles and crafting skills between each season.
Every new season, there is a RR limit which gets increased periodically to even the playfield and provide fun even for new players.

Leveling is so fast compared to classic DAoC and even some freeshards, its rather easy to level and temp your chars again once a year. RR stays, therefore the usually biggest time investment stays safe.

Good explanation why any DAoC doesn't exist longer than 1 year at high population:
https://playphoenix.online/forum/server ... R6Z1HV911K
Same counts more or less for any freeshard of the last 20 years or even every game without additional new content and no ads.

I personally prefer playing on a server that resets but therefore provides a massive population each season and a healthy population for a 6-12 months, over something like retail where you basically play alone or in really really small numbers which honestly couldn't be considered MMO anymore.

Personal stance, if you want to level and template EVERY available character each realm, you would never succeed in RvR at any point. Not on Eden, nore live, nore any other freeshard. You would end with 12 character far below RR5 and you would get easily farmed by onyone who played 1 character during that time period. Not judging, I was that guy years ago. At least on Eden, you would have the possibility to get all your chars to RR5+ after some seasons and at the beginning of each season, your low RR characters would be viable for some time.

Therefore, your playstyle is even more viable on a server concept like Eden, but you would have to redo the leveling/gearing process.

You can do all that without a server reset on Uthgard, but you would be alone for obvious reasons.