DOTs Sometimes Stop Ticking Damage

Find any bug ? Report it !
darkpoetcc
Wanderer
Wanderer

DOTs Sometimes Stop Ticking Damage

Description
I don't see this listed anywhere, which is kind of surprising. Perhaps it pertains only to PvE, perhaps it is all-encompassing, but I can say it appears to apply to all Hib classes. Tonight, as a Druid (Bramus), I got every 2-3 kills affected with the DOT only ticking once, maybe twice. This went on for an hour before I noticed it. Later on, I created a Mentalist (Naciri) just to validate this was occurring. Same thing; I'd cast my two stackable DOT spells, and watch as one or the other would stop ticking damage well before its 4 ticks had occurred. NOTE: The DOT will eventually "expire" and say the target is healthy again, so I think it is technically still applied.

Steps to Reproduce
All I've needed to do to reproduce is spend (at most) 5-10 minutes tracking the DOT damage (and Spell feedback messages). When doing that, you'll notice that DOTs sometimes stop ticking their damage well before they're supposed to be done. This may be easier with classes that have access to more than stackable DOTs.

Additional Notes
This isn't just a log/feedback issue, as there's observably no damage being done by the spells; I've almost died a number of times trying to suss out if there's a pattern, as a fight that should be easy ends up a close call. This doesn't appear to be affected by mob level/range (Green, Blue, Yellow, and Orange all have the issue; I'd assume Red and Purps do as well). It also seems to occur regardless of the mob type. Granted, I had a limited selection, but beasts, humanoids, and insects are affected; I cannot recall if there was code that actually differentiates those in DoL or not, and that project worked to mimic all of the systems of DAoC. It seemed pertinent to perhaps include the details.

I did speak with another player in Advice chat and they also have noticed it before, but didn't think much of it. If you need logs, I'm happy to provide them. I'll also be getting together some screenshots and attaching them as I test each realm more fully to see if this occurs in more than the Hib realm (I suspect it does, since I believe I recall all spells inherit from a few basic Interfaces/Classes).
darkpoetcc
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: DOTs Sometimes Stop Ticking Damage

Here is the chat buffer, and some edited files containing the relevant sections from the last two instances, where I captured things working as expected as well as broken. I will get more files/screenshots as I am able.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkpoetcc
Wanderer
Wanderer

Here are two screenshots of the DOTs just failing to tick. Also, I'm attaching a chat where someone else mentioned it in Advice while I was gathering screenshots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkpoetcc
Wanderer
Wanderer

And one from Alb -- at this point, I'm confident it is a DOT issue at the code or server level, affecting all realms / classes.
Jordey
Wanderer
Wanderer

Getting hit by DoT from mentalists standing in relic town nowhere near action

~3:27 pm EST Standing in relic town at roughly 54838 12970 8808 dir 355

Just completed a duel with guildie --

Noticed that I got hit by someone called 'Sniffles' occasionally for periodic ~100 damage (I will post screenshot after this). I look around... no stealthers.. nothing like that. Go to herald, find out it's a mentalist and somehow I'm getting hit. I get hit after that briefly by Vairysmoll in the same location but only once (I didn't SS this because I was on herald and the kill spam in combat log moved it away). I did not have any damage animations or sounds happening when I realized my health was going down randomly.

I do NOT think they were exploiting or anything - I don't even think they were anywhere near me, but something was causing DoT damage to spread to me from wherever they were all the way to relic town.

I haven't seen any other hits come through on me like this so far but it was super weird.
Jordey
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Getting hit by DoT from mentalists standing in relic town nowhere near action

Screenshots of damage being taken standing in relic town attached
Jordey
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Getting hit by DoT from mentalists standing in relic town nowhere near action

I reached out to Vairysmoll (the second person) to ask what he may have been doing at the time - unfortunately seems like Sniffles has logged off - and Vairysmoll said he was standing in front of the doorway of blend wt and aoe dotting at mids standing on the staircase inside of there. Again, I don't feel like there was any foul play at all, but for an AoE dot to hit mids in a tower in midgard and spread to a lowly friar standing in catterick hamlet was just kind of hilarious. :p Maybe he AoE too many people and it had to figure out what to do with it all hahaha. Anyway - thanks! <3 hope that helps.
QuickDux
Wanderer
Wanderer

Vairysmoll here!

To tag onto the investigation, we did have a few brief fights at the keep near the mid dragon as well that had alot of combat. There was combat between albs and mids all day today so its hard to really pin-point what combat it was during (tunnel vision :P). Hope this helps! plz msg me ingame or on discord if you need exact locations of where I was engaging vs enemies
StatixHC
Wanderer
Wanderer

Druid DoT

Hey ,

i am leveling solo with an Nature Druid and the DoT spell sometimes not allways dont tick at all only the initial hit and then it falls off.

Spellname : Corruption
Spell Level : 19
Spell Line : Nature
Class : Druid

It happens with all DoT Spells in that line.
blumpus
Wanderer
Wanderer

Just my +1.

My Mentalist is only around 20ish, and this bug happens often enough that I had to switch to a different class. Spec, base, and aoe dot all had the same behavior where sometimes they'd only get the initial landing tick, and maybe one tick after that. Didn't seem like there was any correlation between what combination of dots were used; appeared to be totally random.