Block % on Live vs Eden - test

Find any bug ? Report it !
Aenect
Esquire
Esquire

Block % on Live vs Eden - test

Hello,

I wanted to reply to the last block % thread but it was locked. I did a test on Live. It is blocking at well beyond 5% on a cleric (that cannot spec MoB or shield. Meaning it is scaling with dex, using this calc:

Base = 5 %
Skill Bonus = 0.5 * (shield spec + realm rank bonus + template bonus) %
Dex Bonus = 1 / 40 * ((dex * 2) - 100)%
Myth Bonus = Mythical block %
Realm Ability = Mastery of Blocking %

Total = Base + Skill Bonus + Dex Bonus + Myth Bonus + Realm Ability

Difference being the Skill bonus/RR bonus/temp bonus is removed, alongside Realm ability bonus for MOB.

So you end up with base 5% and the dex bonus calculation on top of the base. Unless this is an intentional block rate nerf on Eden, it does not match up with what's happening on Live (and other servers previously).

Example of attacks on Live from a mob on a cleric (that cannot spec shield) attached in image. Outcome:

38 total attacks:
15 attacks landed
15 misses
8 blocks

This adds up to a 21% block chance on total attacks, with 320 dex. I will test further with some additional Data, but if this is not an intended nerf specific to this server, I'd appreciate leaving the thread open so I can provide further info/proof of the discrepancy between Live and Eden. Thanks for all the help. See attached image from Live:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aenect
Esquire
Esquire

Re: Block % on Live vs Eden - test

The above test was a very limited number of hits, so I did a further test with 532 hits total. This is on a yellow mob at lvl 50 on Live.

LIVE TEST #2- Level 50 Briton Cleric /w 320 dex and medium shield.
The calculation with dex scaling as mentioned in the article:

5% base block with Dex scaling bonus: Dex Bonus = 1 / 40 * ((dex * 2) - 100)%
Should be a 18.5% block rate with Dex scaling.

Logs are attached, here is the summary.

The Live test includes no Mythirian and the result was:

Total of 532 attacks
Mau hit Cleric successfully: 301 times
Cleric blocked Mau successfully: 99 times
Mau attacks Cleric and misses: 132 times
Mau fumbles: 0 times

99 blocks is exactly 18.6% of 532.

So with this test (and I can provide others) it should confirm the scaling with dex on non-shield spec users is working incorrectly on Eden. This would include any class that can use a shield without CL training. (Infiltrator/hunter/skald/cleric/minstrel/druid/bard etc).

I will provide a similar test on my lv 50 cleric and a yellow mob on Eden later today if that helps.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bain
Wanderer
Wanderer

I've also been wondering about this! Can we get an official answer on this?
Judo
Wanderer
Wanderer

i was wondering about the same thing. Seems a little lower than live.
Aenect
Esquire
Esquire

Not to be annoying, following up weeks later. Any response from Devs? I can test/verify 5% block rate cap on Eden when I get my cleric up to 50 again. Thanks for looking into this.
Karen
Developer
Developer

You need to dig out when this was allegedly changed.
Aenect
Esquire
Esquire

Hey Karen,

Thanks for your response. My argument is that it was never changed to just 5% base with no dex scaling and never started out that way - and is incorrect on this server alone, because it has always scaled with dex. I looked up all the patch notes and saw no increase or change to indicate that the current state of Live is different than it was 20 years ago. When I played my Infiltrator in 2006-2008 I would swap to a shield when running around, as did some casters and especially Skalds. That helped against archers and unexpected attacks with a slight defense boost. There was usefulness in having a shield for non-shield classes.. Certainly would not have been worth doing at 5% block rate, which is a very rare occurrence. But it did land around 12-13% at times if you had high dex and buffs. The same was the case on Phoenix Freeshard when I played a minstrel to 7L0. I have evidence from a video on that freeshard as well that I have shared below, including a screenshot.

Here is a post from 2012 detailing the block rate formula at the time.

www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php? ... te-formula

Here is a post from 2007 detailing a similar formula:

https://www.ignboards.com/threads/block ... 250240096/

The important thing to note here is that there is no delineation between classes in any of these threads. Those that have shield spec benefit from block % based on skill and RA's. No where does it give an asterisk regarding non-shield spec users not benefiting from dex. From a simple roleplaying standpoint as well, if a Minstel's evade % is influenced by Dex, and a Armsman's blocking % is influenced by dex, why wouldn't the Minstrel also benefit from a slight bonus in block % based on his dex?

This was also prevalent on previous free shards such as Phoenix. My highlander minstrel was blocking at a rate scaling with dex. See the screenshot from this video from 2020 on Phoenix, (my cringey video also attached) where my Highlander Minstrel (based on patch 1.65) was blocking at 7.06% against a RR6 Troll Berzerker (high defense penetration). I understand its possible another freeshard got it wrong, but I see no evidence online that it was ever just the base 5% block percentage with no dex scaling after looking at all block related patch notes. Every formula posted online includes dex scaling, as it does Live currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0jNj58p5xI

(also see screenshot for exact proof of block% from that video ^^)

I hope the team can see that this is not only patch accurate but also consistent with how the game functions currently and has on other shards. That alongside the block formula from 2007, 2012 with no class distinctions and lack of explicit patch notes saying that it was ever capped at the 5% base, should be enough evidence in my opinion to fix the issue on this server.

Thank you for your time reading and considering this. I love Eden and understand you guys want to make a good server that is accurate and fair. This is my attempt to also contribute to that, given my experience playing DAoC over the past couple decades.
Karen
Developer
Developer

Aenect wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:07 pm Thanks for your response. My argument is that it was never changed to just 5% base with no dex scaling and never started out that way
That is incorrect, was a very common practice to pick up MoB1 to add dex bonus.
Aenect
Esquire
Esquire

Understood, so then you're saying that Phoenix and Live have both made changes under the hood to this calculation for patch 1.65 and current, but not told anyone that there was a change.
Aenect
Esquire
Esquire

Here is a separate issue regarding Block %.

Greater Barricading Mythirian (+6 block chance) not increasing Cleric Block chance - stuck at 5% when myth is put on. Video proof on Eden as of today:
https://youtu.be/o__zSoQrmcQ

If you'll watch that you'll see there is no change in block % after the mythirian is put on the cleric. I can have him upload a clip as well or share a screenshot if further proof is needed. This is in alignment with another post from a Healer doing a test previously on the forum. If you'll look into this maybe it can be a starting point for a bigger discussion on the accuracy of the calculation in relation to how it is on Live currently (which I have tested). Thank you for your time