Arshesmaral's Beginners Guide to Thane

A place for talking about everything related to the realm of Midgard.
Arshesmaral
Esquire
Esquire

Arshesmaral's Beginners Guide to Thane

The Original Arshesmaral™

(Originally written for DAOC Phoenix - Adjusted to DAOC Eden on the recommendation from a new friend - Please don't hesitate to post about any mistakes in information that you see. )

I know how you felt once, playing your Skald or Warrior or Savage, and yeah, you rip and tear in melee. Great times. Then, a paragon of Midgardian might and beauty strolls up, long blonde hair billowing in the wind as he sheaths his hammer, raises his hands, and then summons multiple, giant hammers to obliterate the enemy. Remember that feeling? "Wow, I wish I could do that." It's okay to be envious, but you don't need to deprive yourself of glorious Thane-ness any longer!

Arshesmaral's Thane Beginner's Guide is here to help you understand the best class in the game* and help you become a Favoured of Thor and a boon to your group mates.

Choice of Races:
So you're sitting at your character creation screen, and have to decide what race you're going to make your newly inspired fanboy of Thor. The good news is that they're all good, but some are more suited for different types of playstyles, so the choice is yours!

Norse - The standard do-anything race of Midgard, and with Thanes, they're no exception. If you're looking for a slightly offensive, mixed-melee/casting race, this is the choice for you. Their melee is nothing to sneeze at (350 STR is easy to hit with a basic template and full buffs), and their casting is not hellaciously slow. Slightly lower-than-average Dexterity will not be too much of an impact on your casting speed and block chances. Suggested Archetype - Offensive Hybrid

Dwarf - First off, you can get an eyepatch, like Thor's Daddy, Odin. That's cool. Secondly, you're a friggin' Dwarf. The stout, resilient Dwarves will definitely allow you to hit higher HP caps than any other race in Midgard, if you'd like a little more staying power. It's not overmuch, but it's something. Plus, some Albs or Hibs might mistake you for a Healer and get a face full of Slam-stun for their trouble. Suggested Archetype - Defensive Hybrid

Troll - Huge and scary. Trolls can hit harder in melee than any other race in the game, but their casting speed will consistently be behind the other races due to them being, literally, made out of rocks. Still, when you get behind someone and shatter their spine with Conquer, it feels so, so good. Suggested Archetype - Offensive Melee-Focus

Frostalf - The stupid sexy Elf of Midgard. Frostalf are Midgard's answer to Hibernian Elves and Albion Avalonians. They're slightly weaker, less durable, and less dexterous, while being more pious. Those negatives? They don't mean diddly. 5 points (if you go with the standard Briton All-60s stat start) from STR, CON, and DEX, will produce negative effects so minimal, you can pretty much just forget those 15 points being taken away to be put into glorious Piety. Frostalf Thanes will hit harder with their spells, since Thanes do not benefit from the Acuity Buff, so if you're looking to be cast-happy, Frosty is the way to go. Suggested Archetype - Offensive Caster-Focus

• ...but really, it doesn't matter too much what race you pick (aside from Troll, because of the large stat point adjustment), so feel free to play whatever race you want to look at while you smite your inferior foes with hammer and magic.

Fun Fact: Thanes can solo the dragon.** Call of a Thousand Storms is OP.***

Speccing your Thane:
There are two predominantly popular Thane specs, and with Eden allowing dual-speccing, there is a lot more freedom to experiment and do non-standard builds.

Two Hander Spec - 50 Stormcalling - 50 Weapon - 28 Parry (or 23 Shield/17 Parry)
You're sacrificing your use of a shield to get more melee offensive capabilities. Each of the weapon skills have amazing chains to use, and on Eden, we even get the DD-procs for them, which is super duper awesome. However, in the world of PvE and RvR, having access to a Shield Spec and not using it fully is such a hard pill to swallow. Don't forget that you are a Hybrid, and while you can pump out impressive numbers, helping your group excel is usually much more important. That being said, as if contractually obligated to do so, this is your Thane, not someone else's. You make them how you wish to play, and if you want to loom over an Inconnu and prepare to Ragnarok (the 50 Sword Style, not the world-ending apocalypse) their fishbutt, then do so!

Hybrid Spec - 50 Stormcalling - 42 Shield - 39 Weapon - 6 Parry.
Never forget that you are a Thane, the most accurate description of what a Hybrid is on Dark Age of Camelot. You can cast, you can melee, and interchange between the two at your leisure (barring some Lurikeen gnawing on your calf). Having access to Slam with Shield spec is amazing, and your melee damage output still is able to hit the 52 Composite at RR3, which is easy as pie to get to. When its time to throw down, you can still splatter skulls with your weapon skill of choice. Atop that, you can Guard your Healers and Shamans if you're staying in the backfield, or your more choppy-choppy brethren if you're running with the assist train.

• Important Note - Always go 50 Stormcalling - There is absolutely no reason not to, and if you're thinking of dropping points from SCing to boost your melee or defensive skills, I'd recommend playing a Warrior instead. Stormcalling is our iconic, bread-and-butter skill tree. Max it.

Weapon Choice - So, on Eden, the customised adjustments to the weapon skill lines and their chains are different than on any other server/live. Some of the DD-proc damage was adjusted, and some things chain off different reactionaries, but overall, they're all damned good.

Sword seems a good generalist skill to take, and swords are sexy. If it's good enough for Conan the Barbarian, it's good enough for you. Ragnarok's (50) DD-proc is only 100, but it's not a part of a chain, so you can get behind an enemy and spam it for crazy zappy damage. Polar Rift (39) is an anytime non-chain 45 DD-proc as well, so you have two weapon abilities right off the bat that suit your needs. The Haste Debuff skills are kind of lacking; one being a two part chain with no bonus to hit on the 2nd and double defence penalties, and a rank 8 front-style which will work in a pinch. Slash damage is not the most optimal choice against enemy RvR tanks, either, buuuuuuut you have your DD-procs to make up for that. Still, if you don't want to think too much about what you're doing with your weapon, choose sword.

Axe is also a solid choice, and you can feel like He-Man when you're not using the Power Sword. He has the power, and so can you. Havok (29) into Tyr's Fury (50) is a two part anytime style chain that gives you a 150 point DD-proc to really axe-cell in damage. From the rear, there is also Evernight (15 - Snare) into Arctic Rift (44 - 100 DD-proc), but Evernight's growth is an abysmal 0.60, so don't expect it to produce Play Of The Game levels of damage. Arctic Rift will, though, so maybe don't listen to me. Overall, I think Axe is good, though I'd prefer to go Sword.

Hammer is the Thane staple, and for the longest time it was 'Go Hammer or go home' with them. I'm not sure if Eden continues the trend, but Thanes used to get higher weaponskill using Hammers than with Sword or Axe. Even so, I'd personally not let that influence your decision, because the effect is likely rather minimal. If you're a min-maxer Munchkin extraordinaire, however, yeah, sure, go hammer for that alone. As for their styles, I honestly feel that Hammer's are kind of lacking these days. Provoke (15 - Taunt) is still a decent anytimer, though not spectacular, but Comminute (32) drops the ball compared to the other weapon skills by virtue of having no follow-up chain style, or DD-proc associated with it. It's just a standard anytimer style that does good damage, but without any of the extras, just doesn't measure up. Lambast (39 - Off Parry - 75 DD-proc) into Mjolnir's Fury (50 - 175 DD-Proc) will ruin anyone's day, though, and getting it off will make Thor himself look down at you and give a nod of approval. That's really the only good thing about Hammer, though, as even their back styles don't have a DD-proc associated with them, though Conquer (29) into Sledgehammer (44) will hit pretty hard regardless. Plus, you can say to your group friends that you 'conquered them from behind', which will make everyone chuckle and start making their own risque puns.

Shield - It's a shield. You know what it does. Going 42 gives you Slam (9 second anytime stun). Going 23 provides you with a nice rear-positional 6sec stun. Guard is great for your less durable friends. We don't get Pin like Valkyries do, though, which is sad. Can't win them all.

"You interrupted my mining song!"

Your Thane's Spells:
So now that you got your race and spec in mind, what are all these buttons and what do they do?

Thor's Full Lightning - Stormcalling 48 - Your single target, direct damage spell. This is your go-to spell for ranged combat. Casts fast. Hits decently hard. Looks cool. Awesome.

Command Mjolnir - Stormcalling 45 - This is it. This is the one everyone in the game wants. The one, the only, AoE Hammers. Usage of your Hammers requires some forethought. Yes, Thanes have the reputation of being mez-breakers. Yes, we totally deserve it. No, you don't get to use that as an excuse to let your Hammers fly willy-nilly. Be a good Thane, and have tactical awareness of the situation at hand. Did your Healer just AoE Stun? Let those Hammers fly! Is the enemy coming into the Lord's Room while you're defending a Keep? Drop some Hammers on them. Are you in a pitched back and forth battle in open RvR and some enemies just happen to be standing near one another? Ehhhhhhhhhh...maybe hold off a second and take a quick look to ensure they're not mezzed. Your command of Mjolnir is what will make or break you as a Good Thane vs. That Idiot Thane That Wiped The BG. Be the former.

Toothgnasher's Ram and Greater Thunder Roar - Stormcalling 44 - Your instants. One is a ranged DD that hits less hard than Thor's Full Lightning, but is great for interrupts, and the other is a PBAoE that can be used to supplement melee damage or interrupt.

Banishing Blows - Stormcalling 47 - Your Energy DD/Debuff melee proc spell. On DAoC Phoenix, this spell was more of a 'Eh, why not?' sort of buff that you put up just to complete the full round of buffing on yourself. On DAoC Eden, however, like with Live, it's amazing. While you could stop melee'ing and immediately start casting when you see it go off, it's more a focus on making your style DD-procs hit even harder that they already do, especially if you go, oh..let's say...Sword and you're spamming Ragnarok or Polar Whiff so that every one of your attacks procs Energy DDs. Even better, it's a total no-brainer, which is great for Thanes like me! It procs quite often (15%), hits for 80 Energy Damage, and reduces their Energy Resist by 24% for 15 seconds. This humble self-only buff is one of our best tools for our ability to melee DPS.

Banish Energy - Stormcalling 43 - An AoE Energy Resist Debuff (1500 range / 350 radius / 10s Duration) that removes 12% of their Energy Resist. 12% is nothing to sneeze at, sure, but with only a ten second window of opportunity, it'll be difficult to utilise well. Furthermore, the only other class that will directly benefit from you casting this would be a Runecarving-spec Runemaster...and they have their own tri-Elemental Resist Debuff that does way more resist-value removal (15% at 22 / 30% at 33 / 50% at 45), so its efficiency is questionable. It is, however, AoE, so its got that going for it, which is nice. Drop it on a pack of mobs and then let the AoE Hammers fly during a PvE raid.

Thunder's Rend - Stormcalling 46 - Your self-only Damage Add (9.4). Nothing really needs to be said about this. Keep it up at all times.

Thor's Potence - Stormcalling 50 - This is why you go 50 Stormcalling. Self-75 STR/CON is nothing to sneeze at, and it will help your Shamans buff even more people with specs. Obviously, keep it up at all times. Set an egg timer if you need to, but never let them drop in mid-fight. You'll feel silly. Kobolds will laugh at you. Thor himself will shake his head in a disapproving fatherly way that will leave you with emotional scarring for years to come and keep you awake at night with self-defeating guilt.

Chain Lightning - Stormcalling 49 - This has a ten minute cooldown, so you'll have to determine the best time to use it so it's not 'wasted'. Still, I'd argue for using it liberally, as it's initial 300 DD damage is nothing to sneeze at, and if you don't use it at all because you're waiting for The Perfect Moment, then it's even more wasted. Be smart with it, but don't be afraid to use it. Also, try not to break mez. I'm not sure if Chain Lightning is 'smart' and will avoid mezzed targets, but I highly doubt it, and likely jumps to closest targets.

Doomhammer - Stormcalling 50 - So, I'll be honest here. I've not used Doomhammer too often, even back in the day on Live. I recall finishing off someone with it, but I don't know its comparable damage, cooldown, etc. The only thing I can tell you, is that it does hit hard, and turns off your ability to melee for ten seconds. It does not, however, prevent you from casting more, so be mindful of your situation and use it appropriately. Its range is also only 1000 units, so you'll be within spitting distance of whoever you're heaving your weapon at.

Beware the Wee Wolves.

Realm Abilities:
You did it! You hit 50, got templated, and now are joining your bestest buddies in taking keeps, stealing relics, and murdering anyone who doesn't look like they belong 'round here. Congratulations! Now, you're getting these things called Realm Points, and can augment your Thane in fancy ways, but what should you take? Well...

• Augmented (Stat) - If you feel you're missing some core stats, feel free to put some points into these. I can't recall the break points on stats, and even if they exist on Eden, but if someone knows, please let me know and I'll update the guide.

• Mastery of Focus - Get Mastery of Focus II (you do not need any more than MoF II) as soon as you can. It will greatly assist in making so your AoE Hammers and Instas do not get resisted as much.

• Longwind / Tireless - Allows you to perma-sprint with an Endurance Potion or Shaman Endurance Buff. Everyone expects you to get this, and for good reason. Speed 6 (Skald Speed 5 + Sprinting) is better than Speed 5. It's simple math. Plus, Albs and Hibs are doing it, so you don't want those chuckleheads to be faster than you.

• Mastery of Pain - Improving how hard you hit in melee is always good. You get 10% chance to crit by default, and Mastery of Pain passives are added atop that. For example, Mastery of Pain III, which gives you 9%, would give you 19% chance to crit in melee. Apply liberally with Conquer and a two-hander.

• Wild Power - Improving your casting damage is equally good, because generally, your spells will hit harder and faster than your melee swings. Now, Thanes do not appear to get the default 10% chance to crit with their spells like they get in melee, so any points into Wild Power is a straight bonus to your casting damage. (NOTE: Again, please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe I am.)

• Purge - Get it. Purge II at the very least.

• Static Tempest - It's good. Interrupts casters/runners periodically (2sec every 5/sec) in a wide radius for an appreciable duration and has a cool effect. Relive the "glory days" of being a Stormlord in ToA before you realised that Stormlord sucked and went Battlemaster instead.

• Dual Threat - Bonus to Crit Chance for both Melee and Spells. After Mastery of Pain V and Wild Power V, Dual Threat gives 5% to both melee and magic crit chance while costing the same as one of the other two. Subsequent Dual Threat bonuses drop off, but you still get 3%/3% to both, which is still nice. Then, Dual Threat IV and V jumps back up to 5% a piece for seven points each. If you want high critical chance, Dual Threat becomes much more appealing.

• Ignore Pain - If you have extra points, go for it. Can't really argue against in-combat self-heals. Combine it with Health Potions to give yourself an edge.

• Mastery of Concentration - Take MoC I at the very least for being able to interrupt while being smacked around. More MoC only adds to damage, not the duration, and your spells don't hit as hard as Runemaster or Spiritmaster spells. They will, however, still interrupt enemy healers and casters and infuriate them to no end.

• Determination - Now here is the contentious one. For Thanes, it's usually either none or Det9. Yeah, getting stunned for the full 9 second duration is poop, but having 22 Realm Points to spend on other things is nice, and you have a lot to get. Personal preference. If you absolutely cannot stand being mezzed/stunned/rooted for too long, get it. Otherwise, I suggest you spend your valuable points on something else. Thanes on Eden also get 10% Stoicism for free as of the time of writing this, and it will stack with Determination as well.

• The Rest... - When you have free points and have everything else at what you want, feel free to grab additional RAs based on personal preference. Mastery of Blocking and Parrying are always nice, and Raging Power is handy when you're AoE Hammering in desperate last-ditch keep defence and really need that power for a couple more casts. Serenity is always handy for regenerating power, and Mystic Crystal Lore will help between fights where rapid movement is key.

Nothing to do with Thanes, I just love the Great Scourge.

Conclusion:
I hope this guide helped some new Thanes understand their role and abilities, as well as answer some of the basic questions that they may have had. Just remember our credo - DON'T BREAK MEZ!

See you in the Frontiers, Sons and Daughters of Thor.

* - Opinion is 100% biased
** - No, we cannot.
*** - No, it isn't, plus we don't get it on Eden.
Last edited by Arshesmaral on Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kaizersoze
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Arshesmaral's Beginners Guide to Thane

WTF is this? Just remember our credo - DON'T BREAK MEZ!
Ive been told when enemies have zzz over their heads they give more rps!! Bring out the hammers! :D

Joke aside, very well written and fun to read. GJ, mate!
“Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win.”
Arshesmaral
Esquire
Esquire

Kaizersoze wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:48 pm WTF is this? Just remember our credo - DON'T BREAK MEZ!
Ive been told when enemies have zzz over their heads they give more rps!! Bring out the hammers! :D

Joke aside, very well written and fun to read. GJ, mate!
Yeah, well, what do you know, buddy?
<checks the Herald for Kaizersoze like this was 2002s VN Boards>
...oh, uh, quite a lot.

:D Thank you for the kind words, it means a lot coming from The Best Thane on Eden™.
Kaizersoze
Wanderer
Wanderer

Thanks but im far from the best thane, just playing a lot ;)
“Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win.”
Arshesmaral
Esquire
Esquire

Yes, but Statistically The Best Thane On Eden doesn't quite have the same gravitas to it.
Nostalgia
Wanderer
Wanderer

Thank you for posting this.

I love the way it is written and the information in it. I can't comment on the validity of the contents but this will make leveling so much easier.

And when it's not easier, I know where to go!

- Appreciative New Friend
Proto
Wanderer
Wanderer

ASTERISK?! I've been whackin the dragon solo with my staff and gettin chomped for hours
[SIL] Deneb Kaitos
Wanderer
Wanderer

Thank you for the guide.

Any recommendations for the Champion Abilities ? Anyone tried like the lifetap and other stuff from the mystic path ?
Arshesmaral
Esquire
Esquire

[SIL] Deneb Kaitos wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:53 am Thank you for the guide.

Any recommendations for the Champion Abilities ? Anyone tried like the lifetap and other stuff from the mystic path ?
Whenever I got champ abilities on my Thane, they were always the Resists/Heals/Cure Poison/Disease onces. It gives you something to do when you can't do anything else, and being able to cure disease alone is a wonderful thing to have.

You could try going for the Disease line, but I've no experience in it.
beakers_and_kittens
Wanderer
Wanderer

This was incredibly helpful and gave me a giggle - what more could I ask for in a guide?! Thanks!