Necromancer Feedback w. Bugs & QoL (Part 1)

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Zero
Esquire
Esquire

Necromancer Feedback w. Bugs & QoL (Part 1)

Hi folks, first of all thank you for your interest.
I will try to keep this short and simple but there is quite a lot to unpack here.

I am a vivid Necro enjoyer and as such I keep stumbling on all the various issues they have on many different servers. But this also allowed me to look behind the curtain a bit and figure out some improvements. As such I will try to give some feedback on the current iteration of the necro on this server which may also include some bugs but I will mainly focus on the QoL aspect (and honestly bug reporting has too many hurdles put in its place to work). Anyway let’s get started

1. Power consumption & when do spells cost power.
As we all know regular casters consume their power when their spell has finished the cast and is “leaving” the caster to its target, which may or may not be yourself, an enemy, or a friend either to heal, buff or damage. This system sounds fine but works terrible on the necro, to understand why we will need to go into detail on how the necro actually works.

Necro spells both “shade” and “pet” spells as they are often referred as are basically all “shade” spells (or rather player spells). They all get casted by the player, the shade, initially and use its stats for example intelligence & power. Then after they are done casting get transferred to the pet to get casted by the pet again before it finally goes out to the designated target. Think of it as a multi-stage-rocket with the Shade and the Pet being 2 stages of the complete rocket. This for example is why intelligence on the pet doesn’t matter, because all the casts start from the player and its intelligence value.

If you wonder how we have “shade” and “pet” spell then this is fairly easy to answer. The “shade” spells have a cast time on the shade but are instant-casts on the pet. Meanwhile “pet” spells are the exact opposite, they are instant on the shade but have a cast time on the pet. In short; all spells get casted by the player and then go through the pet to be finalized.
Now some of you may have spotted the issue already but let me explain it for everyone. The moment a spell leaves the player to go through to the pet to be finalized it is considered “complete” by the game and costs power.

This way of measuring when a spell is complete results in many issues. If you click any spell that has an instant-cast time on the shade, for example all pet spells, it will immediately consume power regardless of the circumstances or the outcome. If your pet is unable to cast due to CC or being attacked. If your target is out of range for your pet. If your spell queue is full. If you abort the cast. It doesn’t matter, it will always consume power. This ofc also includes complete instant-casts as well, for example the con debuffs, who are nothing else but instant-casts for the player & the pet.

This can and will make you run out of power in less than a second if you hold down or spam any of these spells. Furthermore even if you are aware of this it will still make you lose a ton of power in RvR due to being unable to cast or overflowing the spellqueue (which is only the active spell + 1) in the stress of the battle. Just imagine everytime you pressed a spell button in RvR it immediately consumed your power, regardless if you can cast it or not, trust me when I say people would storm the forums on a rampage in less than an hour.

The only reason this hasn’t happened is because most people are not aware of this and necro players in particular are already a dwindling minority to begin with, especially in RvR where this occurs the most. This needs to change and it should work like any other caster and only consume power if the spell has finished casting by the pet and not the player in this case.

Thank you for reading and sorry for the lengthy post but I felt it necessary to explain how it actually works in order for everyone to really understand the issue. But due to the length of this post I will split up my posts into multiple parts so stay tuned for part 2!
Mess with the Best - Die like the Rest