What is recommended Merc spec/Skill rotation?

A place for talking about everything related to the realm of Albion.
Alkendor
Wanderer
Wanderer

What is recommended Merc spec/Skill rotation?

Hello, im really new to the DAOC world and was looking to get some help with a decent Merc spec/ skill rotation recommendation mainly for pve but will better help me understand pvp as well. Thanks in advance. Currently a level 23 Half Ogre focused on Thrust.
Malidry
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: What is recommended Merc spec/Skill rotation?

I would suggest something other than thrust, which is 50% dex 50% strength base damage, as a half ogre. Slash and crush are both 100% strength based which suits the half ogre better. If you go thrust maybe saracen or briton are a better choice. Most pvp mercs will be crush for the long snare styles that go with that spec line. I personally like 50 crush 35 ish dual wield 42 shield 20 ish parry based on how high you are in dual wield. A lot of players though just go 50 dual wield 50 crush rest in parry. As for rotation that is more of a WoW term. In DAOC it is more of a positional style system. I suggest the character planner to see the positional styles and follow ups.
fabsley
Esquire
Esquire

hey!

i agree with malidry concerning race and weapon choice. thrust one handed dmg is based 50% on strength and 50% on dex (strength+dex/2), so while half ogre isnt a terrible choice due to the very high strength (making up for the low dex), crush or slash are probably the better choice, since they benefit solely from strength.

when it comes to your level 50 spec, i'd go for 50 dual weapons, 42 shield, 38 weapon (crush or slash), rest parry... as long as you use dual weapon styles, you dont gain any advantage from having more than 51 slash/crush/thrust, that includes +skill from items and realm ranks. so with decent equipment and realm rank 3, which is relatively easy to achieve, you would have 38+13 weapon spec, which totals 51. with higher realm rank you can respec and go down on weapon and put the extra points into parry.

when choosing your weapon type as a half ogre, i'd say you could think about what enemy types you want to kill the most. if you like to kill for example midgard berserker, savages and hunter, you gain a dmg bonus with slash (while receiving a penalty against everyone that wears chain, like warrior, thane, skald, healer, shaman), best would be to check the according resist table. if thats too much fine tuning, just pick any. :D
Ze
Wanderer
Wanderer

Hey!

I have been playing the Merc for last week or so changing my race quite a few times and have found the best race/weapon combo to be Highlander Slash. The benefits out way some of the cons. With slash you get Fine steel long sword as a main hand then there are multiple different off hands to try. I have been running the spec above 50 dw, 42 shield, weapon comp, rest into parry. If thrust ends up getting a celerity weapon it would be beneficial to change but until then slash is one of the better choices. As for skill rotation dark tendrils is always anytime with parry styles as need be. If something is stunned or you can dance always you positional they do quite a bit more dmg then the others.
ViandeDePangolin
Wanderer
Wanderer

fabsley wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:41 pm hey!

i agree with malidry concerning race and weapon choice. thrust one handed dmg is based 50% on strength and 50% on dex (strength+dex/2), so while half ogre isnt a terrible choice due to the very high strength (making up for the low dex), crush or slash are probably the better choice, since they benefit solely from strength.

when it comes to your level 50 spec, i'd go for 50 dual weapons, 42 shield, 38 weapon (crush or slash), rest parry... as long as you use dual weapon styles, you dont gain any advantage from having more than 51 slash/crush/thrust, that includes +skill from items and realm ranks. so with decent equipment and realm rank 3, which is relatively easy to achieve, you would have 38+13 weapon spec, which totals 51. with higher realm rank you can respec and go down on weapon and put the extra points into parry.

when choosing your weapon type as a half ogre, i'd say you could think about what enemy types you want to kill the most. if you like to kill for example midgard berserker, savages and hunter, you gain a dmg bonus with slash (while receiving a penalty against everyone that wears chain, like warrior, thane, skald, healer, shaman), best would be to check the according resist table. if thats too much fine tuning, just pick any. :D
LOLOL, half ogre is better race for thrust spec with saracen but half ogre have more con so stop saying shit when you have no awareness of the game please