Theurg Ice pets. Forcing melee.

Give us your feedback on your experience on Eden
Haxchap
Wanderer
Wanderer

Theurg Ice pets. Forcing melee.

Recording from live servers on current patch - do not believe it was altered since classic. Demonstrating Ice theurg pet going into melee when running into melee range of it, or when taunting it. Did not have a char to demonstrate insta debuffs doing the same thing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E2xPJm ... sp=sharing
Bladed Queen
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Theurg Ice pets. Forcing melee.

This directly contradicts my experience as a theurgist (not current live patch, SI era), and it's a substantial nerf that makes them much less enjoyable to play in PvE, particularly in close quarters like dungeons.

Notice also that the ice pet in this video finishes its cast despite melee range being entered - the nerfed implementation in Eden now has the ice pet cancel its cast as soon as melee range is entered, which is wrong in either case - if live behavior is followed, or SI era behavior.
Bladed Queen
Wanderer
Wanderer

Here is video footage of the ice pet continuing to cast at melee range until struck. It then disengages from melee combat when the enemy target moves out of range, after a brief delay. The target then steps into range again without striking the ice pet, clearly demonstrating that the pet does NOT swap back to melee.

This is from the official Pendragon server and is closer to Eden's patch level than the live version and its behavior changes shown in the OP's video. Bethel asked me to provide proof and this is as good as I could find, Youtube seems devoid of patch 1.9 theurgist videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GSb0WQzW0I
imweasel
Esquire
Esquire

I've realized that playing a theurgist now requires you to be a kiter. With ice pets now all going immediately into melee if the mob gets close to them combined with how agro works now, you are forced to kite the majority of pulls.

I have tried variations in pulling mobs with ice pets/earth pets. I've tried dropping an ice pet to pull with and then follow up with earth pets. Earth pets are fairly ineffective. I've had orange mobs one shot my earth pets.

You now have to drop enough ice pets to basically kill the mob BEFORE it gets to your ice pets. If you have room and can cast fast enough.

If I am to close to my ice pets when the mob gets to them, all ice pets are ignored and the mob agroes me immediately while the ice pets now ignore casting and instead chase the mob and hit with melee.

I've tried (when the situation was available) to just start with earth pets. The mob is hit by an earth pet, then immediately charges at me and I have agro forcing me to sprint away.

If I wanted to play a kiting class, I would have rolled a cabby.

The class is still somewhat playable outside a dungeon, but inside a dungeon, well let's just say I don't find it fun.

I might try a heavy air spec with 25 ice. This will force me to give up any pbt, an option I don't think is good for group play.
Amurdora
Soldier
Soldier

1) PvE air spec is a really nice spec. Drop 2-3 Air Pets on a mob and blap it with DD. Rinse, repeat.
2) There are a lot fewer ways to deal with pets on this server than on live. Given that it's more difficult to deal with pets (due to fewer options) it's not wrong to make pets less destructive than they are on live. Allowing tanks to be able to help clear pets that are interrupting their casters adds an interesting dynamic to tank play and helps to separate good tanks from bad ones. It also provides you an avenue to help control enemy tanks. You can control, to an extent, where they go. Are they peeling your guys and being annoying? All over your support? Throw some icers out and make the tank choose between clearing his guys and ignoring your pets.

As a rule, the PvP aspect to the theurg is very different than the PvE aspect and any change to the theurg should be focused exclusively on it's performance in RvR.