Login | Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Server Type Choice :
PvP Server 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
i50 Thidranki 71%  71%  [ 40 ]
Mix between "i50" and a Normal server 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 56
 Post subject: Re: If Eden comeback..
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:49 pm 
Esquire
Cornedbeef wrote:

I couldn't disagree anymore.

If casuals do play on the server, and they play a few times, then they come back and everything will be wiped, they'll be like wtf?

Rather than that, I suggest you just progressively increase the RP Rate for lower RRs without a wipe, so when the first RR11 is around and lets say you start at RR3 you get x10 rp rate until RR4 then like 7.5 then 5x at RR5 then RR6 x4 etc etc.

I think if you keep wiping, you'll keep the core of the server but people won't want to stay if it's not persistent, I know I probably wouldn't want to.

Or maybe add incentives such as alt days etc (no-one can be over RR5 or something) If there's no RP transfer, so people actually have a chance to catch up.

I don't know what the best approach is, I just don't think pampering to the elite players that frequent this forum is a wise idea, nor is wiping classes, wiping classes will annoy more casuals over elites.

IMO, the main hurdle that Eden has to tackle is the longetivity of the server, more than anything, after that it's trying to allow the newbs to catch up.

Look at Uthgard as a case study, they did so well then declined so quickly was because they were a long term server, but in response to that, there were RR11 set groups pwning all the other set groups without batting an eyelid, and people got sick of that.

If you could get the best of both worlds; longevity and making it so its 'fairer' for newer players, then you're onto a winner.

Uthgard failed because they tried to think they were a live server.

Freeshards has the capabilities to move outside of the restrictions of a live server, do not forget that, do not try to behave like a live server.

Can you announce what approach you're going for before you open your server, so I can decide whether I role or not, I'm not going to bother if I know it's a recipe for disaster where you do cater for the elites and it's just going to be a duo fest in a month.

Characters wouldn't be wiped according to what he said, only RR/RP would be reset and everything else would stay the same. The seasons idea makes the server BETTER for casuals as the server would be playable for new guys to log on and join after a few months of it being up.. you'd always be able to catch up but without everyone being rr12.

With your idea, eventually after a few months everyone would be high RR and everyone being high RR is boring as fuck.

I love the seasons idea and it's perfect for casuals and hardcore players as people would always be competing for the titles however I think 4 months is a very long time for a freeshard nowadays.. 2 months would be better suited I think

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:55 pm 
Baronet
Cornedbeef wrote:
Brutell wrote:
We are still talking about the "seasons" idea. I personally love it, I suggested it a while back, with a concept of WoW arena in head. But everyone in DAoC community spits on any notion of WoW, while the system is actually good, just poorly presented (PvP is not balanced in WoW).

However, with seasons, I think it would work this way:
- A single season lasts for 4 months.
- After 2 months, an RP boost is added to XLX Realm Rank (a median between top ranks and 3L0) - let's assume 5L5.
- After the season is finished all Realm Rank points are reset, characters, Bounty Points, gold and whatever you have stay the same.
- After the season, top 0.5% get a title they can keep at all time, similar to WoW Rank 1 titles (for example Cataclysmic Gladiator) - while top 3-5% players get only a "Gladiator" title that they can wear for the upcoming season, if they do not meet the demands for Gladiator next season, the title will be removed.
- Of course, we can always add some goodies as rewards to all players who participated in a meaningful manner.
- Our admins have already made an awesome script to detect any sort of RP farming and, as you know, it is instantly punished.

The decision still needs to be made, but as far as I am concerned, this would be an amazing idea to keep Eden population fresh and it would reduce the weight of someone new coming to the server and seeing all these Lords, Einherjars and what-have-you running around wasting their RAs like they were candy.

If casuals do play on the server, and they play a few times, then they come back and everything will be wiped, they'll be like wtf?

Rather than that, I suggest you just progressively increase the RP Rate for lower RRs without a wipe, so when the first RR11 is around and lets say you start at RR3 you get x10 rp rate until RR4 then like 7.5 then 5x at RR5 then RR6 x4 etc etc.

I think if you keep wiping, you'll keep the core of the server but people won't want to stay if it's not persistent, I know I probably wouldn't want to.

Or maybe add incentives such as alt days etc (no-one can be over RR5 or something) If there's no RP transfer, so people actually have a chance to catch up.

I don't know what the best approach is, I just don't think pampering to the elite players that frequent this forum is a wise idea, nor is wiping classes, wiping classes will annoy more casuals over elites.

IMO, the main hurdle that Eden has to tackle is the longetivity of the server, more than anything, after that it's trying to allow the newbs to catch up.

Look at Uthgard as a case study, they did so well then declined so quickly was because they were a long term server, but in response to that, there were RR11 set groups pwning all the other set groups without batting an eyelid, and people got sick of that.

If you could get the best of both worlds; longevity and making it so its 'fairer' for newer players, then you're onto a winner.

Freeshards has the capabilities to move outside of the restrictions of a live server, do not forget that, do not try to behave like a live server.

Can you announce what approach you're going for before you open your server, so I can decide whether I role or not, I'm not going to bother if I know it's a recipe for disaster where you do cater for the elites and it's just going to be a duo fest in a month.

What you suggested was already done on the server, and in no time, you had an entire RR10+ server running around, there was simply no room for newcomers.

The only thing that's going to be "wiped" are the realm points, everything else stays. And if a player logs on every 4 weeks, that's really not the type of player we want to make the server for.

This isn't any sort of pro-elite environment if you ask me. There are seasons, and the best players will be rewarded, that's fair if you ask me. Plus, as I have stated, we would introduce an RP boost up to a median Realm Rank, so that newbies have an easier time ranking up.

Longevity of the server is going to be tops 2 months if we keep putting out the same Eden every time, and as you said, we do not have the shackles of a live server. Adam and Heagen have a final word about Eden, and they are uncertain about seasons so far, they first want to see what numbers will the initial opening bring (the steady ones, not the hype numbers). If the server permits it, we will conduct seasons along the way, if not, we will see where we will go from there.

Seasons mean a decent start (let's say, whoever participated in the last season and got over 3L0 gets to start at 3L0) etc. If you cannot make it to 3L0 in 4 months time, that's not server's fault.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:24 pm 
Esquire
Brutell wrote:
Cornedbeef wrote:
Brutell wrote:
We are still talking about the "seasons" idea. I personally love it, I suggested it a while back, with a concept of WoW arena in head. But everyone in DAoC community spits on any notion of WoW, while the system is actually good, just poorly presented (PvP is not balanced in WoW).

However, with seasons, I think it would work this way:
- A single season lasts for 4 months.
- After 2 months, an RP boost is added to XLX Realm Rank (a median between top ranks and 3L0) - let's assume 5L5.
- After the season is finished all Realm Rank points are reset, characters, Bounty Points, gold and whatever you have stay the same.
- After the season, top 0.5% get a title they can keep at all time, similar to WoW Rank 1 titles (for example Cataclysmic Gladiator) - while top 3-5% players get only a "Gladiator" title that they can wear for the upcoming season, if they do not meet the demands for Gladiator next season, the title will be removed.
- Of course, we can always add some goodies as rewards to all players who participated in a meaningful manner.
- Our admins have already made an awesome script to detect any sort of RP farming and, as you know, it is instantly punished.

The decision still needs to be made, but as far as I am concerned, this would be an amazing idea to keep Eden population fresh and it would reduce the weight of someone new coming to the server and seeing all these Lords, Einherjars and what-have-you running around wasting their RAs like they were candy.

What you suggested was already done on the server, and in no time, you had an entire RR10+ server running around, there was simply no room for newcomers.

The only thing that's going to be "wiped" are the realm points, everything else stays. And if a player logs on every 4 weeks, that's really not the type of player we want to make the server for.

This isn't any sort of pro-elite environment if you ask me. There are seasons, and the best players will be rewarded, that's fair if you ask me. Plus, as I have stated, we would introduce an RP boost up to a median Realm Rank, so that newbies have an easier time ranking up.

Longevity of the server is going to be tops 2 months if we keep putting out the same Eden every time, and as you said, we do not have the shackles of a live server. Adam and Heagen have a final word about Eden, and they are uncertain about seasons so far, they first want to see what numbers will the initial opening bring (the steady ones, not the hype numbers). If the server permits it, we will conduct seasons along the way, if not, we will see where we will go from there.

Seasons mean a decent start (let's say, whoever participated in the last season and got over 3L0 gets to start at 3L0) etc. If you cannot make it to 3L0 in 4 months time, that's not server's fault.

I've never seen an Eden server anyting like what I listed.

I feel liek I was the only guild that tried to invite people and not be elitest about it, everyone else was either pugging randoms or elite guilds.

The randoms rage quit when you get wiped 5-6 times to the same guilds over and over again.

Eden caters to the elites, and it always will do.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:33 pm 
Knight
you don't make any sense corned.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:01 pm 
Esquire
I am One of the Players that dont have time to play daily, so I should appreciate the seasons, however, I use to play casters and Docht that need a certain RR to be competitive (I dont talk about stun-casters). This system will provide advantages to chargetanks needing just some points to afford Charge 2.

I prefer the idea to reduce rp the higher the char becomes.

No matter how you will make it, Im gonna deal with it and join your server.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:23 am 
Administrator
Just to keep in touch :

We will not be able to open this week end, i am not taking the risk to give any release date since some parameters are not depending on us.

But we will do our best to open as soon as possible.
In the meantime we continue our bug fixing session and dealing with surprises (the new owner of DAoC have changed once again the keeps skin, which mean the need to add more files to our custom patch).

To keep everything smooth & easy, your client will be automatically updated when you connect on Eden for the first time (through DAoC Portal or the Eden Launcher), and to avoid any problems in your client, download a fresh copy from the live servers and use it only for Eden. (you should do the same thing for every shard)

And remember : do not create a new account on Eden with the same account name or at least password you have already used on another shard, to avoid security issues (account stealing)

(more informations here)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:47 pm 
Esquire
pvp is only for single player or can u group one ?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:58 pm 
Administrator
yahira wrote:

I guess it's solo only atm, but there is a groupcap 2 available too.
Anyway, our PvP need an overhaul, because the Allying rule is time consuming for GM and create unnecessary animosity between players.

We need to think about it, but if we open it a little while after the release, it's gonna be FFA until we find a better solution, because it's not a priority for the moment.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:15 pm 
Baronet
Heagen wrote:
yahira wrote:

I guess it's solo only atm, but there is a groupcap 2 available too.
Anyway, our PvP need an overhaul, because the Allying rule is time consuming for GM and create unnecessary animosity between players.

We need to think about it, but if we open it a little while after the release, it's gonna be FFA until we find a better solution, because it's not a priority for the moment.

what about a central pvp area only for duels (maybe with the flag "in combat" as in 4th isle) and an outer area ffa?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:28 pm 
Knight
whole point of the new server dude is specifically to avoid splitting people into several zones

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next